620 suspension quesions

Just bought a ratsun 620 in not that bad of shape at all for $850. The parts list is big! But my main questions would be suspension and ways I can do it and the best to go low and wide! I have buddy's doing the lay frame look but I want something different, something with more handeling and still be low. I'm in processes of planin out how do do 4 link in the rear but don't wanna do bags right away. And the front end... Some guy, don't quote me but he said their is another truck that has compatible spindels that will drop it 2 inches in the front! "Me" had no clue and he wouldn't help me out and tell me either so f that guy! I need help and I think this would be a good starting point

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

720 4x4 rear springs will fit right on, will lower several inches and are much stiffer. You have a king pin front end so none of the later drop spindles will work unless converted over to ball joint I believe. The '78 and on trucks use ball joints.

Top right hand of every page is out search engine. Type in" 620 disc brake conversion" or "620 lowering" or "620 drop spindles" Try variations of those and read up. Likely the answer is in there or will lead to the answer.

Although they WILL NOT FIT YOUR TRUCK as it sits, the hardbody spindles bolt right on to the trucks with disk brakes from the factory. Just thought I would throw that out there since you asked.

As Mike said, 720 leafs will net you about a 2.5" drop. They work very well and can be supplemented with blocks to get you where you want to be while you sort out your 4 link. 

If you want something more than what the torsion bars can offer for elevation change, you may look into some Z'ed lower control arms. Not a big fan of this myself, but, it has been done.

There's some work to do, but it turned out decent on my truck. Mine was king pin and I switched it to 720 disc brakes. The 720 control arms fit on with the 620 lower arm bushing swapped out for 720 bushing and the upper arm bolt threads drilled and retapped for the larger 720 bolts. I checked out the hardbody(D21) spindles which fit the 720 control arms and there are drop spindle available for the hardbody.

• Like 1

Ok I'm following what everyone is saying. But what's with the hardbody D21? I feel like a new guy in the automotive world again I know other cars and nothing about datsun. Can I just buy a cheep 720 pickup and swap the hole suspension to my 620 bullet cab? And sorta where I'm getting at on that is the disk breaks in the front. Is what your saying is interchangeable to a certain extent? I'm dropping it this weekend one way or another ha....(I need to post pics?)

There's some work to do, but it turned out decent on my truck. Mine was king pin and I switched it to 720 disc brakes. The 720 control arms fit on with the 620 lower arm bushing swapped out for 720 bushing and the upper arm bolt threads drilled and retapped for the larger 720 bolts. I checked out the hardbody(D21) spindles which fit the 720 control arms and there are drop spindle available for the hardbody.

Thread? I've always read it's more work than that. 

Thread? I've always read it's more work than that.

My thread is '74 and then some. My posts are pretty scattered since my opportunities to work on it and hunt for info are really hit and miss. I'll list out everything I did this evening. Its all close to bolt up but does require mods like drilling and threading.

• Like 1

Here's my info in sections so it doesn't wipe out before I post it.

I checked out the 2wd D21(Hardbody) trucks at the salvage yard down the road. They all used the same ball joints as the 720. D21 spindles use a smaller brake caliper package than the 720, which is excellent for air bagging. 620's, 720's, and D21's use the same brake line thread, but you'll likely have to use one type of hose or another to match whatever swap you go with.

The 720 ball joint control arms swap over to kingpin 620 frame once you replace the lower 620 arm bushing with the wider 720 bushing. I used the 720 tension bars and just drilled out the brackets at the front to make plenty of room for the 14mm thread. I had to shave down the tension bars so that I could run the thread further down by around 2 1/2". The 720 and 620 use nearly identical steering geometry and havethe same rod end tapers. I used 620 center links as my tie rods by shortening and rethreading them so that I could correct the geometry after the swap.

I'll get a few pics and continue this tonight.

• Like 2

IMG_20140530_174019_zpszx7vzew1.jpg

The 720 tension rod with extended threads. I shaved down a couple bushings I had sitting around to replace the dry rotted stuff. These rods are much stronger than the 620 rods and aim in the exact same direction so you just have to drill the hole in the bracket bigger.

• Like 1

Can't tell that there's a bushing swap in this pic, but the 720 lower arm fits the 620 easily. My truck is a 1974 kingpin frame. Just press out the shorter 620 bushing, then press in the wider 720 bushing. Bolts right on. The 620 and 720 lower arms are pretty much the same length,(just eyeballed them an they look exact).

IMG_20140530_174033_zps3xepogto.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The stock 620 tie rods work just fine. I made mine with adjustable links for better geometry and greasable joints.

IMG_20140530_174135_zpszkhef3p6.jpg

Do you know what size the thread is for the rod ends?