convert to power steering

Big Pip

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I realize that it would be very interesting to see how it it was done, and along with everyone else I too wanna see the story...Having said that though, my question would be why would you want to go to all the trouble to put power steering in a truck that weighs so little and practically steers itself as it is? I realize I am gonna get ragged on for this comment, but, I just HAD to ask it!!!!!.(so there "Long winded Mike" have at it)

I've turned a lot more wheel with non-power steering:

76-4X4-18.JPG

But you have a 720. They came with power steering after '81 as an option. My '83 KC has it. So, all you need is a 720 power steering box, PS pump, ilder pulley assembly, and the hoses.

Note the PS pump and hoses in this pic:

720eng.jpg

YA, easy! 720.... :)

how wide are those tires?

I turn 225 width in my Z. It has a power assist rack with no power assist. Now that's not easy. Its geared taller because it thinks you have the hydralic assist.

My 620 had 205 width and I never had an issue turning.

I realize that it would be very interesting to see how it it was done, and along with everyone else I too wanna see the story...Having said that though, my question would be why would you want to go to all the trouble to put power steering in a truck that weighs so little and practically steers itself as it is? I realize I am gonna get ragged on for this comment, but, I just HAD to ask it!!!!!.(so there "Long winded Mike" have at it)

Hi Ron,

To answer briefly, my 620 now weighs about 3,400 and change pounds, with me in it. Add to that 12.5 X 33 tires. Even with 10.5 X 31s it was very difficult to move the front end around on the highway, like in a panic situation to avoid hitting something. Parking was a nightmare. With P/S I can throw the truck around with ease and sudden lane changes for accident avoidance is nothing short of breath taking. Pretty cool to lean out the window while parking and see those big tires turning while your spinning the steering wheel with one finger.

Big Pip, Datsunaholic is right, get the system off of another 720 and swap it in. It has to fit. You might want to get the steering column that comes with it as there may be some difference in length in the boxes.

As for the 620, I did it the hard way, so here's how I would do it now. The 280 Z cars had P/S and L series engines identical to the front of an L20B. Because they were EFI and electric pump, the P/S pump mounts where the mechanical fuel pump on an L series would be, so your L20B would have to be converted to electric pump.

I think any P/S pump would work, but the steering box I used was from an '80 or '81, Bleach would know more about this. This is the same kind I used, see the picture. It's from a '79 (door tag). Most 280 Zs had power rack and pinion and are of no use except maybe the pump. As you can see, if you mount this into a 620 the pitman arm is pointing the wrong way. Don't worry, just remove and install the 620 arm. It'll be 180 around, and because of the way the splines are indexed you can't get it wrong. The 620 arm will preserve the steering geometry too.

BTW, I have an '81 200sx and the P/S box looks the same as the 280Z one. Maybe this is another source for a box.

With a bit of filing I got two holes to line up for mounting but some fabrication is probable.

I used a 720 truck steering column because it has a small U joint in it, and a splined section that extends or collapses to make fitting it up very easy. It would also collapse in the event of an accident and not pole vault you into the afterlife like the 620 one piece.

Just remember the flex and steel lines on the pressure side of the pump can't be shortened. The pressure can exceed 900-1500 lbs, a gear clamp won't work! The return line is over engineered, so any hose or lines with clamps will work. The banjo fittings on the box have copper washers, keep and use them or you'll have leaks. To bleed the air out of the system, raise both front wheels, start engine and turn from lock to lock, shut off engine, check P/S fluid, top up, repeat. If severe foaming happens let it sit for an hour, try again.

Picture two shows some of the 720 column with the U joint.

Picture three is for you Ron (and no raggin').

Picture four is the box I have on now. It's from a hardbody, and is identical to the 280 Z one except the sector shaft is on the outside of the frame like a 720. It shows the mounting bolts to frame.

well now that does make a slight difference..I guess my caveat should have been, "with the stock datsun running gear,...etc"..I do understand the difficulty of large tires and no power steering....I am running 31x10.50 15LT on my 79 GMC High Sierra with NO power and yep parking lots are FUN. I just assumed wrong there...my bad