New to Nissan and 2wd. My 85 720 with 90k miles

PNW720

Ive been into 4wd Toyotas forever, but recently found a pretty clean 720 for a decent price and decided I had to have it.

When I bought it the previous owner already put on a Weber carb, smog stuff is deleted, cat delete with a muffler, bigger fuel tank and a freshly rebuilt head.

Heres a picture when I brought her home.

7201_zps798bed47.jpg

I cant leave things alone so I dropped the front end via torsion bars and put 3" lowering blocks in the rear. Its not a fast car by any means but its so damn light, I love driving it. Here she sits now. (ive since removed the chunky rear bumper)

lowered_zps8f7db87b.jpg

More to come! Next will be wheels and tires. Im thinking some simple machined face wheels with a lip or some BBS replicas. Im gunna start needing your help figuring out the biggest offset/tire I can stuff under there without rubbing.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good advice, will do. Im assuming ill need to pop the cam out to do this?

No need to do that. Follow the directions in your repair manual as there are multiple ways to make the engine worse. That being said it is fairly easy to retorque the head gasket.

One way to mess it up is to put RTV on the cam cover. Keep it simple, do only what's needed. Reuse the cover gasket, if it is torn or deformed get a new one. Use no sealer.

The mud flaps, which I do not have, but want, and have looked at, are a bolt through ordeal.  It looks as if there are holes that you could put body clip-nuts on and bolt straight to the body.  I saw many after market copies (and "universal fits", which are not what I want) on ebay recently, that I cannot find now....it was a late night wish search and I cannot replicate the moment....all in all, it should be an easy achievement, if you can find the OES flaps.

Yeah, I've seen all of the universal fit flaps, as well as fender flares, but I would much rather have the OE parts.

Mainly though, I would prefer not to drill into the body and more than needed. I already drilled holes in the bed rails for my toolbox 2 years ago, and I do regret it.