Automatic to manuel swap

Rhine620

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look behind the dip stick handle on the side of the block. The engine size is stamped there....

LseriesID.jpg

If you have a '74 it will likely say L18 on that flat boss. This is a problem as L16 and L18 motors all use 5 bolts to hold the flywheel on. I assume that your 5 speed truck is a '77 or newer and it will have an L20B motor that uses 6 bolts. This means that the L20B flywheel will not bolt to the L18 crank. You have everything you need but will have to find an L16/L18 flywheel and a clutch that fits it, usually a 200mm size plus the release bearing collar matched to the clutch.

The '74 620 truck was unique as it used a 5 bolt 225mm flywheel because it was a heavier duty unit. They were only used for that one year on the trucks. It's extremely unlikely you will find another so look instead for a 200mm from a car. It can be from an L16 or L18 they were the same.

Once the automatic is removed and the torque converter flex plate removed, there is a spacer plate that clips on to the end of the crankshaft. It's there to align the torque converter before it is bolted down. It has to be removed before the flywheel is installed.  One other thing you will need is a $5 pilot bushing tapped into the end of the crank. The nose of the 5 speed will fit into and ride in there.

Automatic spacer on...

motorZ24crankauto.jpg

Automatic plate removed...

motorZ24crankstandard.jpg

You can see the bronze pilot bushing in the end of the crank. Looks like a piece of pipe.

Also don't forget to keep and use the thin metal engine plate that is sandwiched between the transmission and block when they are bolted together.

Engine plate...

L20bandZ20Ebackingplate.jpg

The truck I'm looking at buying is a 74 with no motor in the truck I have right now I think is a 78 bit I don't know I have no paperwork on it and there is no vin to be found nor does it have any smog equipment and the body work that has to be done alone on it would take forever but it runs pretty good other then the carb needs a rebuild and the transmission shifts smooth so I was wondering if it's pretty easy to swap the entire drive train from the 78 into the 74 that currently has a automatic trans and how do I post pics on here

Oh well that's as easy as it gets. '75 and up had L20B engines. '77 and up had the optional 5 speeds.

Not that the year makes much difference, but look behind the dip stick to be sure of engine size.

Look behind the fuel pump on or near the bottom edge of the head between the #1 and #2 spark plug. The head is identified there. '75-'77 had a U67 head. '78 and '79 had a W58 head.