Buying a 82 Datsun 720 King Cab 4x4

jmsl32

Hi All-

No idea if this is the correct place for this so I apologize if it isn't.  I'm a complete moron about stuff like this and am having trouble researching what these types of vehicles are worth so I thought maybe some of you could shed some light on this?  I was looking for a small pickup, good gas mileage, can haul small stuff around from time to time, and just be a little everyday truck for me.  I am not a "car guy" (I am a 23 year old female from SD) so please bear with me.  I don't plan on making it too fancy but wouldn't mind maybe preserving it longer and fixing it up a bit since I have always loved older vehicles.  Fast forward.. found one I'm interested in.

It is a 1982 Datsun King Cab 4x4 - 174,000 miles on the truck, 40,000 on the engine.  He redid the wiring in the back last year.  4wd works great, heat works great, runs great.  Almost new Michelin tires. The bad? Rust rust rust.  (Hey - we are in SD).  Sadly this one is actually much better for rust than alot of them I've seen.  Problem? He wants $1500.  My question is = what is it worth? I'm considering offering $1000.

That said, I see all these forums, etc of people finding these rust free perfect running trucks for $400-$500.  That's great when you live somewhere that has that but here in SD that is virtually impossible.   Everything has rust.  For $500 here the only thing I could find is a completely rusted out 1980 toyota with a destroyed interior and leaky valve covers and 250,00+ miles.  (keep in mind - not a car guy here - I don't plan on being able to fix a whole lot on my own lol unless I learn as I go after I have it.)

Okay sorry about the novel.  Keeping in mind that I'm in SD and we don't have as much access to all these "good deals" lucky people in other states keep finding lol... what would you pay for it?

Pictures:

http://s1165.photobucket.com/user/juliamarie32/library/Datsun

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn JMS, that's not so bad. The tailgate is almost perfect. All Nissan trucks to '84 had the horizontal bed seam.... that rusts out. Maybe find an '85/'85 bed some day. It's a one piece side that doesn't have the seam and has an inner wall to prevent cargo bumps showing through on the outside. Fifteen hundred isn't too bad if a good runner.

I think 1000-1500 is a fair price if it runs well. These are good reliable little trucks that are easy to work on with a few basic tools. I've got an '82 4x4 as well and it's needed absolutely nothing other than oil and gas over the past 5 years. Honestly, you'll be hard pressed to find a 1982 anything for $15oo and no rust. Especially in a place that has winter.

I have had a couple 720 4x4s and they are great trucks. I tried killing one and it wouldnt die. Around here (seattle area) $1500 is about average. 82 should have the napz 2.2 and it was only in the 720s for a couple years before it went to a 2.4 so parts are a little harder to find but still plentiful. If you like it and can afford it I wouldnt shy away fron it.

Thanks everyone for the insight! I've seen a lot of pricing for the 2wd reg cabs but not the King Cab 4wd so I was thinking it was a good deal but my husband wasn't convinced lol. Hopefully this will help persuade him :) ! To who ever mentioned a place that has winter.. that is definitely here! There's 5 year old cars driving around with rust so I thought for a 32 year old car it definitely isn't doing too bad. I think I'm going to be getting it this week then. I'm sure I'll keep creeping around here for ideas/advice!

Anyone have any insight on patching/fixing up rust holes temporarily until I could get a new bed on there someday?

Fair enough.  I tried to talk him down to $1200 on it but he wouldn't budge.  Thank you btw to Wayno for getting the pics to show up! I tried to get it to do that but it kept saying the files were too big and I didn't want to resize and edit all 10 pics down lol.  It is a 5 speed with a z22s by the way - I think I forgot to mention that in my original post.

Fair enough.  I tried to talk him down to $1200 on it but he wouldn't budge.  Thank you btw to Wayno for getting the pics to show up! I tried to get it to do that but it kept saying the files were too big and I didn't want to resize and edit all 10 pics down lol.  It is a 5 speed with a z22s by the way - I think I forgot to mention that in my original post.

Your Welcome :)

I don't know what you use for a computer, but on a desk top once you click on the photo you want out of your library and it becomes full size, there is a row of icons like facebook, twitter and such across the top of the photo, at the right end is a  box that looks like a chain link, you click on that and 4 lines of code appear, you want to click on the bottom one that says "IMG", then go to your post, click in the field, right click and paste, that is exactly what I did in your photobucket album.