Dry sump pan and pump

RTB

As some of you know I am building a relatively high performance 2.2 l series stroker engine. Trying to maximize the life , use, and power of this engine I was wondering if it would be worth trying to use a dry sump pan and pump. And if I do go this route, is it possible to lower the engine?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

few things come to mind here for one how is switching to a dry sump add power if anything it takes power away cause its another accesory to run off the crank for two how would you run the distributor without the oil pump drive? those are the 2 big issues you face here

Trying to maximize the life , use, and power of this engine I was wondering if it would be worth trying to use a dry sump pan and pump. And if I do go this route, is it possible to lower the engine?

Regards lowering, it still limited by the crossmember height and the transmission bell.

> maximize the life

Adding more complexity reduce reliability. Dry sump adds no longevity per se.

> maximize the use

The main utility added by a dry sump system is higher cornering Gs. If you are exceeding 1g now maybe you need a dry sump. Or just use a baffled pan.

> maximize the power

Definitely a dry sump system can add power. They are used at 10,000 rpm to scavenge (vacuumize) the crankcase to reduce windage. Since windage losses increase exponentially with rpm, no gain will be seen at 7000 rpm.

• Like 1

As someone who is always looking for that extra horsepower, I have two engines with dry sump systems. Neither are extremely high rpm engines or for even long periods of time at their highest rpm. There is some slight power gain. Sort of a, you run in the water and I will run on dry land and we will see who is faster kind of a deal. However, I am going to say that for me personally, not worth the effort in real world times at the track. I have had dense air outside make more of a difference in time than my dry sump system. A well thought out wet sump, with a vacuum pump will net you the same kind of power gains, sometimes even more. So my opinion is that you should spend that money elsewhere on the engine.

• Like 2

omg look at that signature joel thats fucking epic right there

dry sump for the win its give and take ... i always been under the impression dry sumps used to lower the motor while increasing the oil circulation while keeping the crank free of oil scavenging... i want a dry sump ka set up for my wagon ... but its whale teeth