grenaded my l18 now i want to build an lz22

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, seems most likely it failed from a stress fracture. L18s are almost bulletproof.

I'm guessing a crack initiated and propagated from vibratory stress - probably a poorly effective harmonic balancer.

L18s didn't use a harmonic balance. Didn't need one cause Datsun did a very very good factory balance.

whats the brass plug?

You going to use the org oil sender switch or a oil line?

make sure that rear plug is in the back of block sometime the shop will pull them out and not tell you and oil goes shotting out the trans area.

Im sure you know to prime the oil pump. I also  put the mechanical fuel pump on last also I pump it by hand tp fill up the carb(till gas squirts in carb)

I pour oil over the cam and down the front cover chain.

Autosport Seattle is another good  machine shop. I think they move to Ballard now

L-series/Z-series oil pump is self-priming. When installing a new pump or after disassembling & cleaning fill it with lube or manually prime it.

YES. Even install the pump without the spindle. Buy a long screwdriver and cut the end off. Insert down the dizzy hole and use an electric drill to turn the pump. You can watch the oil gurgle out onto the cam.

• Like 1

Brass plug is exactly what mike said. I plan to use the original sending unit. I bought a new ka oil pump and the reason its not installed yet is I havent purchased oil yet and I want to prime it before I install it. What do you guys run for break in oil? I dont plan on synthetic but anything special or just regular oil?

Z series motors had the heater hose come out of the side of the block because there was an intake on that side of the head. One or the other would need to be plugged.

i don't have a heater.

rather than plug mine, i just ran a line from the head to the block.

i like to think it helps with keeping the head cool

on the LZ24 they were plugged.

glad you went with a new pump. would suck to have to rebuild cuz the used pump was bad..

It is easy to check the pump. The factory service manual gives the specs and pictures of what to check. No need to replace it if it is in spec.

If you buy a new pump, better check to see if its in spec. Would suck to have to rebuild cuz the new pump was defective..

Brass plug is exactly what mike said. I plan to use the original sending unit. I bought a new ka oil pump and the reason its not installed yet is I havent purchased oil yet and I want to prime it before I install it. What do you guys run for break in oil? I dont plan on synthetic but anything special or just regular oil?

'Break in' oils used to provide less protection and promote some wear to speed up the break in process. Oil and motors have also changed a lot since the '50s. New motors were driven carefully for the first few hundred miles back then.

All oils meet a certain level of protection some may have more. Synthetic oils are a no no as they are so slippery that the 'break in' time is extended or extended indefinitely and the motor has poor compression and burns oil. I would select any good cheap fossil oil and rely on a good break in procedure. The best way to promote ring to cylinder wear is to force the rings against the cylinders by heavy throttle applications for wear, followed by light decelerations to polish the walls and flush away the fine particles of metal. As soon as the motor is warmed up, valve lash checked, oil and water checked, take it out on the highway and accelerate hard through 3rd gear up to highway speeds and let slow down. Twenty or more times would be good and as soon after the motor is fired up for the first time the better. Do not allow the motor to idle for prolonged periods or drive at steady speeds for the first thousand miles. In town keep it revved up and changing RPMs. Change the oil and filter at 500 miles for your favorite non synthetic oil. If you plan on using a synthetic oil, wait till 5-10K miles.

so i have about 120 miles on it now and a few issues i noticed are when it is cold i noticed a tiny bit of smoke out the exhaust at acceleration. its been long enough to burn off most stuff so it shouldnt be smoking at all now. i also noticed my ka  oil pump really increased my oil psi maybe too much. at idle i am at 45 psi and at 60mph its almost 80 psi. this is only until it warms up and it drops to 25 at idle and 45-50 at cruise. i used lucas assembly lube and it was really tacky, and i used as lot of it so i am thinking its all related. assembly lube is thick causing high oil pressure causing a touch of smoke. i keep reading to wait until 500 miles to change the oil but i am really tempted to change it now to see if it brings down the oil psi and cures the smoke. is there any reason to wait?