280zx fuel tank always feels pressured?

well I drive a 280zx with a 2jz engine ,, PO had an rb20 in it, but that crummy engine died after I drove it for 4-5 months , so I swapped it with a 2jz.

anyways when it had the rb20 engine, I would drive for a bit, (university->home) and would open the tank lid, pressure would leave the tank. ( I thought it was normal due to it being a 30 year old car) after the 2jz swap, I installed a bosch inline fuel pump (thinking this might fix it..) however it didn't .. sometimes the pressure is too strong (it skinned my hand once). 

I was wondering did it happen to someone? is there a way to fix it? I did search on the internet but couldnt really find anything about it.

Thank you :D

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds as if you have a clogged vent hose, maybe before the canister.

Nope apparently it was the same problem like Datzenmike's this whole problem was because of the gas cap.

I made the mistake of thinking pressure when it was vacuum. The tank on my 620 imploded. Was the gas cap.

I decided to take a leap of faith and hoped it was a gas cap issue.. I took off the cap drove it slow/fast there was absolutely no fuel cutting.. and it kinda felt a lot stronger. So hopefully I'll look for a gas cap.

It's normal, don't worry about it.

yeah seeing how its a thirty year old car.. but I think its because of my gas cap.

Next time, hold a lit lighter up next to the cap when you unscrew it, to check if it's pressure or vacuum.

Just kidding.

car went boom :(

I had a 720 long bed tank and it flattened. As the gas was used nothing was replacing it, no air getting in. I was in Ontario on a trip and always filled at 3/4 empty. I was 60 miles from my dads and kept going. It colapsed from the air pressure outside trying to get in and the bottom held the sender up at 1/4 and I ran out of gas. I tried everywhere to find some kind of takn... no dicethere were no yards with anything older than '98. I took the tank out and held my hand over the filler tube and used compressed air to blow it up like a baloon. It was scary with it popping and swelling but it took all the wrinkles out and works perfectly.

WAIT

> I took off the cap drove it slow/fast there was absolutely no fuel cutting.. and it kinda felt a lot stronger.

That means is it be a vacuum relief problem OR a vent problem. If it is the relief valve, a new cap will fix it. You can easily test the cap by seeing if air can be sucked through it.

If it is s vent problem the a new cap won't fix it.

I had a 720 long bed tank and it flattened. As the gas was used nothing was replacing it, no air getting in. I was in Ontario on a trip and always filled at 3/4 empty. I was 60 miles from my dads and kept going. It colapsed from the air pressure outside trying to get in and the bottom held the sender up at 1/4 and I ran out of gas. I tried everywhere to find some kind of takn... no dicethere were no yards with anything older than '98. I took the tank out and held my hand over the filler tube and used compressed air to blow it up like a baloon. It was scary with it popping and swelling but it took all the wrinkles out and works perfectly.

Whoa.. well I want to check my tank still, even all the lines but for now i'll keep it as it is till I have times to rip open the car .

WAIT

> I took off the cap drove it slow/fast there was absolutely no fuel cutting.. and it kinda felt a lot stronger.

That means is it be a vacuum relief problem OR a vent problem. If it is the relief valve, a new cap will fix it. You can easily test the cap by seeing if air can be sucked through it.

If it is s vent problem the a new cap won't fix it.

Well.. I'm hoping its a relief valve, but I will get around this issue soon, hopefully.

Thanks for the replies guys :D I appreciate your help