My 280zx project car + pics :D (a surprising turn of events..)

Hey there, just wanted to share my project car a few before and after pictures, and tips would be appreciated ;D 

okay so this is the first day i found the car lying on the side of the road with no home :(

IMG_00000746_hdr.jpg

after a while i found the owner, told him if it was up for sale, he said yes but its dead so dont complain to me if it doesnt work..

after paying about $5000 (yup expensive for a very lightly rusted car..) called a car towing service to bring it home since it was "dead" like he said

IMG_00000749_hdr.jpg

took it home washed it up kept inspecting it 

IMG_00000762_hdr.jpg

opened the hood saw the engine.. 

IMG_00000743_hdr.jpg

MOAR engine pics :D

IMG_00000744_hdr.jpg

the only thing that was working was .... *drumroll*

IMG_00000795.jpgthe electricity and the light bulb xD!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what came with the car :- 

IMG_00000792.jpg

My mechanic friend saw the car and said it needs a new "maf" sensor, I got that even though i had no idea what that is :P

IMG_00000768_hdr.jpg

installed it, and the car worked :D he checked on the oil levels and spark plugs he said i need to drain all the oil and fill it up again.. and so i did

IMG_00000959.jpg

to my surprise the transmission oil was dark green and really thick .. the guy said how were you driving this? i felt really bad for the car :( so replaced all the oils in the car and spark plugs next thing was that annoying scrapping muffler that scraps everywhere  :mad:

IMG_00000961_hdr.jpg

then i realised .. the car had rust .. i was just so caught up at that moment when i got it.. i was happy xD 

then i thought of the first modification :D 

which was... 

IMG_00000944.jpg

since i had no welding skills i took it to a welder

IMG_00000972.jpg

after trying to install it.. it didnt exactly fit so i had to improvise and find a smaller tip

IMG_3988.jpg

I like how it looked and sounded like, and best part was goodbye to the scrapping :D

I was happy for about a few weeks till I popped up the cars hood and my ocd kicked in.. 

IMG_00001133_hdr.jpg

IMG_00001137_hdr.jpg

it drove me a bit crazy

IMG_00001138_hdr.jpg

there were soo many burned wires and a space full of "extra" cables which i figured I should do a wire tuck.. so i asked around for a professional workshop to do it but there were expensive and they said I needed new wires.. so I decided to fight off my ocd and drive it till I can afford it :P

I think this will be the last post for now since my laptop is dying and i'm still stuck in university :P

so.. after a while i noticed when driving the steering wheel can never ever ever be straight its always tilted to the left but im driving straight

IMG_00000980_hdr.jpg

so I went to straighten the wheel/steering alignment :D

IMG_3395.jpg

yeah my front struts are different from my rear struts.. didnt know that till that day xD

anyways after that the car was driving fine I will hopefully continue with the uploading later today

so I'm back and.. moar pics like i mentioned earlier :D

cassette players ;o ?

IMG_00000847.jpg

couldnt stand the highest frequency was 90.0 so it was time for a change 

IMG_00001375_hdr.jpg

took a while till i figured how to take that off and install a new audio system

IMG_00001381.jpg

after the audio set up was complete and I installed new speakers (just changed the ones behind the seats) 

and so I was happy with the car :D

a few days before my rb20 died  :crying:

IMG_00000984_hdr.jpg

yeah the tachometer wasnt working cause it was a swapped engine .. wanted to see the rb20's full potential and it was about 194 km/h  or 120mph (on my phones gps) the car got me home just fine after 2 days I tried turning the car on but nothing happened.. I thought the battery might've ran out, changed it, and the car didnt work, tried after a while it worked but there was a lot of black smoke coming out.. it kinda smelled like burnt oil and the car didnt work after that, kinda got upset because I was broke to fix the engine let alone buying a new one.

2 months later I had enough money to buy a new engine, I researched and most people did an rb25/rb26 swap and some did an SR20, a few 1jz/2jz swaps .. so I kept asking around on the internet and people who did swaps and what they prefer, I did find an rb25 for about $1200 asked a few guys around and told me its a great engine but you'd have to not drive the car till winter comes back.. reason being the engine would over heat quickly especially during summer when it reaches 50-55C (122-131F) even now in march its about 35C (95F).

My hunt for a new engine lasted about 3 days until I finally found this baby yes a 2jz that can stand our climate :D xD!

IMG_20140201_194143.jpg

and..

IMG_20140202_115306.jpg

I also got a Bosch fuel pump and an hks wastegate unfortunately I lost the pictures :(

• Like 1

anyways it was time to get my hands dirty, with a help from my friend

IMG_3841.jpg

we managed to fit the car on a trailer (which was a perfect fit xD ) and the engine in the truck, and drove to the garage 

IMG_20140224_121623.jpg

not the cleanest swap but oh well.. 

IMG_20140224_121518.jpg

a few goodies  :blush:

IMG_20140224_121545.jpg

Couldnt bother cleaning everything again, i was in a hurry to drive it again 

• Like 1

at last when everything was running perfect.. my ocd kicked again  :rofl:

sent it, to a garage to get it wire tucked and as clean as possible :D

IMG_20140305_152920.jpg

IMG_20140305_153044.jpg

installed a boost and a tachometer gauge 

IMG_3987.jpg

so whatcha guys think :D ?I'm still going to upgrade it some more but it might take a while out of cash at the moment  :rofl:

• Like 1

Wow... How much has the car cost ya so far? And have you been in a dyno yet? 

Anyways it's looking great so far  :thumbup:

ALOT ! xD converting to dollars I spent about $4600 

Nope still didnt get it on a dyno, cause the engine is very moody.. sometimes it drives amazing and sometimes it just keeps misfiring/fuel cutting, so I'm saving up for an ecu for now

and yeah hopefully in 2 weeks time i'd be able to get an air intake, and im thinking of upgrading the suspensions(in 4-ish months time) and complete the gauge build remove all the stock gauges and replace with aftermarket ones hopefully after all that would be done i'll just have to make it look sexy :P :D

ALOT ! xD converting to dollars I spent about $4600 

Nope still didnt get it on a dyno, cause the engine is very moody.. sometimes it drives amazing and sometimes it just keeps misfiring/fuel cutting, so I'm saving up for an ecu for now

and yeah hopefully in 2 weeks time i'd be able to get an air intake, and im thinking of upgrading the suspensions(in 4-ish months time) and complete the gauge build remove all the stock gauges and replace with aftermarket ones hopefully after all that would be done i'll just have to make it look sexy :P :D

Could be blocked fuel lines/injectors. Or some sensor could be damaged (lamda or tps or crank position sensor etc...) What ECU are you going to get?