My 280zx project car + pics :D (a surprising turn of events..)

ALOT ! xD converting to dollars I spent about $4600

Nope still didnt get it on a dyno, cause the engine is very moody.. sometimes it drives amazing and sometimes it just keeps misfiring/fuel cutting, so I'm saving up for an ecu for now

and yeah hopefully in 2 weeks time i'd be able to get an air intake, and im thinking of upgrading the suspensions(in 4-ish months time) and complete the gauge build remove all the stock gauges and replace with aftermarket ones hopefully after all that would be done i'll just have to make it look sexy :P :D

Sounds like my Mazda had that problem with boost got the coldest plugs and replaced me wires and boots now runs amazing at any boost the under the overboost kill switch setting which is stuck at 15psi damn factory tune
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And if you have ECU in your car, i suggest you to get OBD scanner:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MS509-OBDII-OBD2-Car-Vehicle-Engine-Fault-Diagnostic-Scanner-Code-Reader-Tool-/131064277530?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item1e840a2a1a&vxp=mtr

Helps out a lot with modern engines. You just need to know the motor manufacture and the scanner will scan for codes

Could be blocked fuel lines/injectors. Or some sensor could be damaged (lamda or tps or crank position sensor etc...) What ECU are you going to get?

I checked my injectors and they were in good conditions, i'll double check my fuel lines, and sensors after I finish exams :D

I dont really know, might go cheap and get a piggyback Unichip Q, since its the cheapest one I can afford now, I was seeing the AEM v2, but No one where i'm from can program it, their expert with haltech,motec and the unichip.

Sounds like my Mazda had that problem with boost got the coldest plugs and replaced me wires and boots now runs amazing at any boost the under the overboost kill switch setting which is stuck at 15psi damn factory tune

hahaha, I replaced all my wiring, so now it sometimes drives well and sometimes pms's -.-

And if you have ECU in your car, i suggest you to get OBD scanner:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MS509-OBDII-OBD2-Car-Vehicle-Engine-Fault-Diagnostic-Scanner-Code-Reader-Tool-/131064277530?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item1e840a2a1a&vxp=mtr

Helps out a lot with modern engines. You just need to know the motor manufacture and the scanner will scan for codes

Thank you, I'll check it out :D

well.. one more update on the car.. I kinda got annoyed with the scrapping  a lot in fact, and went to a proper exhaust shop

the car is at the shop today, and these are the old exhausts on the car.. I didn't know the previous owner was heartless.. :) so as soon as the car finishes i'll post the new custom exhaust :D

photo_3.jpg

Just finished installing the exhausts, took it for a drive it to see if there was a difference or not, at first the car was at 0.5 bar ( I think thats roughly 7 psi ) so when the exhausts got in, the boost rose to 0.6bar on its own, but was still fuel cutting, tampered with the boost and fuel regulator, and decided to open it to 0.7 bar (10-ish psi) works perfectly :D <3

here's a short video : 

View My Video

P.s: Please dont comment on my crappy driving xD this is my first stick car, and still learning to drive it properly  :rofl:

• Like 1

Just finished installing the exhausts, took it for a drive it to see if there was a difference or not, at first the car was at 0.5 bar ( I think thats roughly 7 psi ) so when the exhausts got in, the boost rose to 0.6bar on its own, but was still fuel cutting, tampered with the boost and fuel regulator, and decided to open it to 0.7 bar (10-ish psi) works perfectly :D <3

here's a short video : 

View My Video

P.s: Please dont comment on my crappy driving xD this is my first stick car, and still learning to drive it properly  :rofl:

Sweet sounds, but please, buy BOV (blow off valve). The sound ''whrhrhrhrhrhrhr'' is due the air that's coming from turbo hits the shut throttle plate and makes its way back to turbo and forces it to spin backwards. Correctly set bov will save your turbo :)

Sweet sounds, but please, buy BOV (blow off valve). The sound ''whrhrhrhrhrhrhr'' is due the air that's coming from turbo hits the shut throttle plate and makes its way back to turbo and forces it to spin backwards. Correctly set bov will save your turbo :)

Yeah, thats next on my list, but I dont really care much about the turbo since its a really cheap knockoff one so either way it will die in few months time. I kinda like the "whrhrhrhrhrhr" sound though  :rofl: .

Thanks for the advice :D

Yeah, thats next on my list, but I dont really care much about the turbo since its a really cheap knockoff one so either way it will die in few months time. I kinda like the "whrhrhrhrhrhr" sound though  :rofl: .

Thanks for the advice :D

And the BOV will help to reduce ''turbo lag'' :) And here is some sweet BOV sounds:

''pshhhhh'' 

And are you planning to change your turbocharger then?

And the BOV will help to reduce ''turbo lag'' :) And here is some sweet BOV sounds:

''pshhhhh'' 

And are you planning to change your turbocharger then?

WOW it sounds amazing and "fierce" ,, yeah hopefully i'll open up a "turbo" savings account in the bank sometime this week so I dont touch it till I can afford a proper turbo. 

But now I have a problem, my fuel tank, prior to the 2jz swap, always felt pressured, like I drive it for a few miles and just park it turn it off, open the fuel tank , soo much pressure leaves, after the 2jz swap, I got the bosch inline fuel pump (hoping it would fix the problem but it didnt) the tank still has soo much pressure everytime I open it.. is that normal ? 

WOW it sounds amazing and "fierce" ,, yeah hopefully i'll open up a "turbo" savings account in the bank sometime this week so I dont touch it till I can afford a proper turbo. 

But now I have a problem, my fuel tank, prior to the 2jz swap, always felt pressured, like I drive it for a few miles and just park it turn it off, open the fuel tank , soo much pressure leaves, after the 2jz swap, I got the bosch inline fuel pump (hoping it would fix the problem but it didnt) the tank still has soo much pressure everytime I open it.. is that normal ? 

Fuel pressure drops? What readings do you get?

Nope everything is normal.. but the tank itself releases pressure when I open it, fill the tank with gas.. it's kinda worrying me 

It's normal and it happens a lot in a hot climate as the gasoline starts to vapor 

It's normal and it happens a lot in a hot climate as the gasoline starts to vapor 

Ohh didnt think about it like that.. 

And if you're interested, here is some reading:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/x9cu2659042w750/Maximum+Boost+-+Corky+Bell.pdf

I have used that book as a guide through my build for a turbocharging a 1,5liter A15 engine and there are some informative formulas for sizing turbochargers etc~

Thank you, I'll read it :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello , Lettuce is back again .. 

So few days ago I decided to take the car for a drift.. anyways nothing major happened just casual drifting  :rofl:  two days after that I was driving on the highway at 50 miles per hour i heard a "CLUNK" I inspected the car and nothing was visible I thought I was just hearing noises again.. but I did drive it to my friends garage since I was worried .. and as soon as I reached the battery just randomly fell on the turbo manifold :confused:  even though it was tightened and secured .. suddenly the crank pulley just fell on its own  :crying:  went to the dealership they said they dont have any supra parts for the past 15 years .. i said lexus IS300 or GS300 (2002-03 models) they said no.. so I went to the scrap yard and found one which looked brand-ish new ? :huh:  

photo_1.jpg

anyways so we tried getting an airgun but the radiator didnt give us any space.. we used the crank-wrench method didnt work .. so we took of the radiator

photo_2.jpg

YAY now we have space  :w00t:

photo_3.jpg

well I found out the radiator was rusted as hell from the inside :) .. but thats gonna be worked on later 

so it took us about 3 hours to pull the crank pulley bolt off (since we didnt have experience and professionals were charging a lot ..) anyways we decided to try the heat method even though i was scared cause I just thought it would harm the engine from the inside 

but it did work and we managed to get the bolt out and we were really tired and knew we needed special tools to remove the crank pulley so hopefully today or tomorrow we would work on it.

just wanted to update you guys on what happened :D 

Most mechanics in the states will check which direction the engine turns and put a socket on a breaker bar propped against the frame and use the starter to break it loose

Yeah thats what we did but with no luck till we heated the bolt for a bit and it unscrewed easily

anyways so after the bolt was out it was a pita to get the pulley out .. I searched everywhere for the crank puller device as i saw people use it in forums/videos etc.. but the shops were selling them for $500-$700  (it doesnt really make sense selling these for a huge amount of money and the standard crank puller was no where to be found ..) 

anyways I passed down to a little garage I asked if I could borrow a puller if he had one available, he gave it to me and

IMG_4224.jpg

but it didnt do anything -.- i was too tired to go on so the next day I did it again using some spontaneous methods as I was learning on my own but with no luck finally gave up and came back the next day and I used a hammer :D and it worked :O

and thats how my crank pulley looked like after being hammered xD 

IMG_4244.jpg

My rusted radiator is in another shop getting re-fabbed and cleaned so I'll install it tomorrow and get the car running again.

• Like 1