Ka clutch issues

So I am dealing with clutch job from hell! Decided to change my clutch on my ka24e with a ka-de trans in my 521. Bought the sohc clutch and when everything is said and done she isn't engaging and disengaging correctly. You can feel pressure from the pedal right off the bat with no play at all as if the throw out bearing is on the clutch. There is no adjustment on the slave or master cylinder. Doing process of elimination so I bought new slave and master. After a little research found out that the only difference in the clutch kits are the throw out bearing. Any ideas why my issue is before I have to take out the tranny cause in a 521 it's a b*otch!!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should have a very small (1/16") of pedal play. Just push down on the pedal with your thumb. There should be a very slight wiggle room before it becomes stiff. There is an adjustment on the pushrod between the pedal to master. Loosen the lock nut, pull the cotter pin, push the clevis pin out and you can shorten the rod by turning. Don't forget the pin and cotter pin.

Did you also swap the release bearing collar? the thing that the bearing is pressed onto?

Was the new clutch identical to the old?

• Like 1

I think you are right. 521 slave and clutch arm are adjustable and the master may takes shims where it mounts to adjust this but rarely needed. Forgot.

If same everything, then only bearing and PP/disc was changed, yes?

Two things to think about...

Shim the master ahead or forward in an attempt to get some small pedal play

or

Maybe try a 510 master and find the adjustable push rod for this.

Any other ideas?

remeber thos clutch master need to be cut down soemtimes as when you install the rodis pushing on the pedal arme already which might not cuase the master to fully release.

on the slave if you have a Ka trans I assume you using the slave rod for a KA as 510s used a threaded rod and it   size was different.

the 200sx was a rod with a ball end but the lenght would be also differen as due to clutch diaprame height.  so if wrong t/o sleeve is installed the slave rod might be putting pressure on clutch

if you have a spare slave rod maybe try shortening it

Did you also swap the release bearing collar? the thing that the bearing is pressed onto?

Asked, I don't know for sure. Says...

After a little research found out that the only difference in the clutch kits are the throw out bearing.

240zx and D21 KA24Es use the same release bearing and sleeve. In fact the release bearing is the same one used in nearly every car/truck made from 1970 and into the 2000s including the 300zx.

The collar is also commonly used