New 510 Owner

Style23

Hey guys,

Ive been lurking around here for probably 2-3 years now waiting for my time...Ive wanted a wagon for 3 years or so. Being in Texas its not as easy as it is for some of you. Ive seen 2 for sale in Texas since ive started looking, and for certain reasons they didnt work out. They either sold for too much or it was a dealer auction and i couldnt find a broker. Well a few weeks ago the 3rd one popped up and i happened to be driving through Dallas on my way home from working in Wyoming.

I overpaid for the car in my opinon, but timing was right, it is very clean and original. The plastic is still on the rear seat belts. I will try to get better pictures in the near future. Its in my garage right now and not running so living by myself i am a little nervous to try to roll it out on my steep driveway to get better pics.

The good news is i got it running in about 45 min with some new fuel, carb cleaner, and starting fluid...battery, plugs, and wires, and bled the brakes it was driveable. Drove it around the neighborhood a bit and down the road. Shut it off about 6 miles down the road and im guessing i sucked some gravel out of the gas tank or something because i couldnt keep it running for the ride back and had to tow it back home. So i have the carburator ripped out of it and am going to drop the tank next.

Stopped at whataburger after making it through Dallas:

F82B3A2C-7CCB-4BEF-8D66-E761E5CCE3DD_zps

In its new home, amongst all my other junk:

DD47010A-B0E1-4DB7-B32C-DB64505DB38F_zps

Its good side:

22BDAE8F-CD0C-42B0-91F7-D890C1D72AB9_zps

Another dark picture:

D976D751-01C5-44C7-B55A-6CD4C0860B04_zps

The only rust in the car, and its surface rust from a bad repair job, also a little bit of filler in the wheel well right by the door that needs to come out and get fixed:

593E66A8-925E-407E-9A9D-EE560E4767EA_zps

Overall you guys have no idea how jealous i am of you for being on the west coast and having access to these....i was patient for 3 years and spent 3 years making plans of what i would do when i finally got one....well the time is here so lots of mods/restoration to come.

• Like 3
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fuel filter will catch the crap in the tank and is likely plugged. I got a 710 that was last on the road 8 years before. The filter plugged 20 miles down the road. I took the hose off and shook the rust out twice to drive it 100 miles home. Yeah the new filter showed signs of rust so I had to pull the tank but that fixed it. That's a nice car. Has the stock wheel discs on it so not likely been molested. Usually only automatics survive this long.

thanks guys, i decided to replace the carb instead of rebuilding it, due to parts that i know are missing, let alone parts i dont know are missing. Ill look at the fuel filter and see where that leaves me. The car is original unmolested exept for some re-wiring that im not sure why was done, but looks kind of shady to me.

I have been making plans about what i want for the past 3 years, so its going to get modified, i almost feel bad about molesting it, but i dont think ill find another lol.

• 3 weeks later...