L-Series Distributor Drive Question

Kirden

Alright, I'm wanting to use a KA pump for my LZ build. The information I've found shows that the drive for the KA pump is much longer that the L-series drive and that you need to swap the L drive onto the KA pump.

So, does the L18 have the same length drive as the L20B? I'm pretty sure my L20 block doesn't have the oil pump so I'm trying to see if I can scavenge the shaft from my L18 once the LZ is ready.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the L18 drive is the correct length for the L20 block? I got slightly confused with your response, it's been a long day.

Here's what I have. The L18 is the running engine in my truck. The L20 block is only the bottom cast section, no additional parts. Just need to know if I can transfer the L18 distributor drive gear onto the KA pump for the new LZ22.

okay, i think i get what youre asking. 

the L16/18 drive is shorter than the one for an L20, z20, z22. 

if youre going for LZ engine, im assuming z20/22 block, which is the same deck height as the L20. 

so to answer the question, the L18 drive will not work. you need one from an L20. 

• Like 1

okay, i think i get what youre asking. 

the L16/18 drive is shorter than the one for an L20, z20, z22. 

if youre going for LZ engine, im assuming z20/22 block, which is the same deck height as the L20. 

so to answer the question, the L18 drive will not work. you need one from an L20. 

such a complete and direct answer

• Like 1

found this info from last year... looked for an hour to find these pics..

They are???

Lspindles001Large.jpg

Some rare early ones were brass and highly sought after for racing.

Well I checked and all L motors (4s and 6s) use the same spindle. The Z20/22/24 carb motors use a different number.

The early Z20E (EFI) uses and even different number.

Here's the rest of my collection... The 3on the far left are from Z24i and KA24E motors.

spindles002Large.jpg

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/53621-oil-pump-drive-ring/

i guess this prolly just adds confusion to the question.. 

just ignore this... lol

Farmer thanks again man. You're a great help. I dunno why everyone sayd you're a troll man. Now I can haz secrets to slamming my 620? :poke:

Honestly though, thank all of you guys. I was sorta lost on what to do about the spindle since these engines are so rare in my area. Glad to see you can still get new ones.

• Like 1

1/ #15040-21001... L16/L18/L20B/L24/L26/L28 all use the same spindle

2/ #15040-W0400... Z20/Z22/Z24 Truck motors and 8 plug Z20 and Z22 in the S110. These dizzys are totally different from the L series

3/ #15040-N8500... Z20S (4 plug distributors) A10 and early S110* The distributor will fit an L20B.

* This is the four plug matchbox used of federal Z20E 200sx. This matchbox will fit the L20B so the spindle should be almost the same. Possibly the gear is rotated slightly because the matchbox does not face the front like the L20B ones when fitted to the 11.28 clocked spindle. I think the N8500 spindle will interchange with the 21001 spindle but may have to be clocked differently to turn the matchbox away from the thermostat housing. .

• Like 2

Thanks again guys, as always I'm worried for nothing. I just knew that the L18 had a shorter deck height than the L20 and didn't know where the difference was. Since the difference comes from the cylinder length and not the bottom of the block, it seems like I'll be able to re use most of the little bits from the bottom end to go into the L20 block.