my first 510 autoX car <3

20140512_072741_zps4pinr2i6.jpg

20140512_072745_zpswtnztue5.jpg

20140512_134520_zpsqgjl9l4h.jpg

20140512_134523_zps2gappzbl.jpg

20140512_153215_zpsjebe6jbw.jpg

20140512_153232_zps9wswtlas.jpg

Well got them semi mocked up. Debaiting to do the work to make these front fenders work proper for my car or cut the flares off and put them on my other fenders cause my old ones can have the trim on them and the new ones i have to make ledges and fill the holes. Plus the new ones dont even come close to lining up to my car. But im not comlaining about the buy :-D a little work and these will look minty on her. Thank you 70goon for the great hookup. Lookin forward to geting her done.

• Like 1
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your plan on the rear door(s)?

20140512_153215_zpsjebe6jbw.jpg

Mine were welded shut by the PO....I believe it raced at one point in it's history....thus the 4 to 2dr

After they slathered the rear flares in with bondo.... a stock bumper was a little tight on fit

Mine was rusted and looked like a POS..... and I wasn't going to pay a couple hundred bucks to comply with the DOT and or the..... purists.... :D 

Soooo...I made my own 

SFP...a cheap local renewable resource....lol

Douglas Fir...pretty sure it exceeds the stock.... Federal bumper standards of the year... :sneaky:

P1010008_zps0f6b9d0d.jpg

Flat Tremclad FTW

P1010004_zps24cece92.jpg

It's a bit of work to incorporate the flare and have a working rear door that looks as good open as it does shut.

• Like 2

Dude i hear ya but she aint as clean as she looks. Shes been repainted (very poorly) and ALOT of rust was covered up with bondo. The arches in the wells are very bad. I found this out when i was triming for clearence. The rockers need alot of work the upper frame rails are toast. If she was as clean as she looked in pics i would never of cut anything and i would be doing just what you sead. But sadly she aint. I will be geting others and geting pickier with the dimes i buy. But i think the next car i buy will be a erly 70's 280z. God i love those cars!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Personally I agree with what hainz has been sayin. Stock body 4dr with proper wheel fitment is a look hard to beat in my eyes.

Tristin's car is a good example of this.

t24pKnY_zps4f715a5a.jpg

That being said i do like that style of flare you've got yourself

• Like 1

Yes indeed i love a stock body. Im finding more rust that has been hidin with bondo the more i work on the car. :-( but my next dime will be beautiful :-D ive got my 13" sloted mags and will be getting a nice set of 16" soon that should just fit without any moding well maybe a little trim haha. I still wanna be low tho. And maybe ill do a bag setup. And ill probobly swap out this motor for something else to beat on instead of my L16 and save that for my next dime. Maybe re&re it and polish the block lol make it perdy. Id rather do that then blow up a motor that is starting to get harder to find. Ive just been doing alot of thinking latly.

That front frame rail is VERY structural ... I use the piece you cut out as my front jacking point .... . you better weld something strong back in it's place

.... and you will need to reinforce the T/C rod mounts you cut into, and tie them back into your new front frame rail

• Like 1

Dont worry guys ive already planned on welding a brace back in and tieing the T/C mounts back in and reinforcing them. I talked to my budy that races his 510 and it was all planned before i even cut it. All will be well before the car is even drivin.

Ive got big plans for this girl. Just a matter of time and money....and time haha.

Even had a fab guy come by yesterday and he walked me threw some wicked ideas to reinforse it and incorperate a lower rad saport to hold my rad up :-D

We just don't understand why you're cutting the car to fit the radiator.  There are so many radiators out there that will fit without cutting, and they do a great job of cooling.  What engine do you plan to run?