My new ugly betty, '84 Maxima, not diesel.

HRH

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well so far it's been mid-70s in Spokane and with the hood vent, I've had 0 problems with hot-start issues and the AFM has been returned to the stock clocking for lean/rich.  Sweet!  Getting better mileage too, duh.

• 2 weeks later...

They're Addco bars, if I ever get them.  Supposed to ship on the 15th, the hardware was back ordered or something from the factory.  Addco's deal, not Jegs.  If they don't ship on the 15th, I'm cancelling the order.  It's been pushed back quite a few times now, getting tired of it.

020-348

020-713

Those are the Jegs part numbers.  They're Addco 713 for the front bar and addco 348 for the rear bar.

I have not yet received a reply from my inquiry to Jegs regarding whether or not my swaybars had indeed shipped.  I'll wait until tomorrow for confirmation, then I'm cancelling and just going with harder springs.  It's been two days shy of a full month from my order.  3 or 4 extensions.  I sent an email to the sales guy at Addco just now.  We'll see if I hear back from one or the other tomorrow.

Okay, finally!  Called Jegs the last two days, told the lady I talked to on the phone to ask the manufacturer if they could ship the bars only, screw the hardware that was back-ordered, for 20% off or thereabouts.  She said she would call them and let me know.  Never got the call back, but I FINALLY got a shipping notification.  So either they got the hardware and finally shipped the entire order, or I'm just getting the bars minus hardware.  Not sure, they're supposed to be delivered on the 28th, so we'll wait until then.

• 1 month later...

Finally got the rear sway bar last Thursday, only 3 months after I ordered the bars.  I have now probably wasted 6 or 7 hours installing these swaybars.  A process which, by my thinking should have taken an hour.  I'll load the pics first, then go back and explain the long time.

swaybar1_zps6edb06e4.jpg

swaybar2_zpsa2fb2268.jpg

Looks good, right?  No issues.  Yeah.

swaybar3_zps3cc7d08d.jpg

So the original bracket has a shoulder that holds in the original bushing for the sway bar.  After some careful consideration, it's strong enough, so I opted to cut out the ridge so it's just a flat strap.

swaybar4_zps467e7050.jpg

swaybar5_zps1555addd.jpg

swaybar6_zps96a41c2d.jpg

swaybar7_zps8d2b6fd7.jpg

Weapon of choice for grinding.  Lots of cutting oil and a carbide Christmas tree cutter.

swaybar8_zps0311f9a0.jpg

Fits now.

swaybar9_zpse9bda3c0.jpg

So both sets of bushings they sent with sleeves WAY bigger than the diameter of the bolt for the end link.  Seriously?  WTF?

swaybar10_zpsc6bd33d7.jpg

Bar finally in, way too late at night.  Compounds things when you can't see and f me I need a lift!

swaybar11_zpsc78ab842.jpg

swaybar12_zps004caca5.jpg

Rear bar.  Slightly different, looks okay on first inspection.  Instead of the whoop-de-do they opted to just run it straight across.  Fine by me.

swaybar13_zps8519ff80.jpg

Now what's wrong with this picture?

swaybar14_zpsc584c7bd.jpg

So I trim the ridge off the bushing.  Even with a sharp razor blade, these are a bitch to cut.

swaybar15_zpsa6e75eb5.jpg

After several tries at installation of the rear bar, it hits the rear crossmember.  After jigsawing and making a relief, I had to get the torch out.  Rather close to fuel lines on the one side.  Then I had to get the welder out as I clearanced too much.  Fixed all that.  Ended up having just a little too close on the passenger side.  So took the carbide cutter and very delicately cut a spot out so the bar could clear on full suspension droop.  At that point I was dead set about taking the bar out again, it was really pissing me off.

Did I mention I need a lift?  On your back sucks, especially with such a low car.

swaybar16_zps367f0072.jpg

Also had to washer up the plate to lower the bar just a smidge.  This worked well.  I put the round edge of the bushing that is supposed to be square towards the inside of the bracket.  I don't think it will cause any problems.  You'd think they could have provided the correct bushings, however.

And now, to go test!  Haven't even driven it yet.  On a side note, the 1979 280zx ecu will NOT work on the '84 Maxima.  Something is different, fuel pump won't cycle on.

Check the wiring to the connector, they might have switched some pins around. I would be interested in the result, I know it will work ok if you use the whole harness on the L24, but that was a turbo model. He also used the AFM.

Mega...........

Squirt......

do it once, then its worth money if you ever sell the car and return your motor to stock, cause now its already set up for an L series. Bolt on, and go.

Well the bars DEFINITELY helped the body roll.  She corners much flatter now.  The ass end is more prone to stepping out, as I figured.  My Datsun guru said just run the front bar, and I said, for all the pain in the ass it was, f that, it's staying there! ;)  Going to get stickier, wider tires I think.  That should keep her planted and help me go faster anyway.

I'm thinking a bit wider.  225/45/15s.  Debating whether to go for street tire for current classing or gutting entirely and going to slicks to chase Kelsey.  Hard to say at the moment.

Yeah, at least Addco will probably have the material in stock this time.  I just ordered new autocross tires.  Can't wait to try them out next month!  225/45/15 Hankook Ventus.  From what I've heard and read, they should be the cat's meow.  

Those sway bars are BUCK NASTY. Derek we should try to retro fit a 32mm Largus sway bar to my Cream Whoreror and a 26mm out back!!!

Smh damn Apple products with lacking multi quote response!

Beck Arnley fuel injectors are OE rebox'd and have pre-cut perfect length hoses, so are ones from the dealer! If you're near AZ Parts Authority (previously BAP) sells 810/910 parts for a good price. I paid $60 for my Nissan injectors!

lol sway bar

033610E0-4AD2-41EB-80DC-970FCA27308F_zps

• Like 1

Look what IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII have!!!  :D  Can't freakin' wait until next autocross!  I am going to lay waste to faster cars, mwah ha ha ha ha!!!

newtires_zpse6de924e.jpg

• Like 2

So we started on the new tires today, checking for fitment.  Really close to the swaybar on full lock, but only with the wheel drooped.  Still close, but not going to be going full lock during autocross so no worries there even if the bar does wiggle over a little.

Went on to install the uber-cheap $29 adjustable fuel pressure regulator.  Not the finest in the world, but good enough to try.  Wanted to see if that little 3500 rpm medium throttle issue was due to the fuel pressure regulator.  Remains to be seen, haven't driven it yet, just started it and wrapped it out a bit to adjust for pressure.  The gauge is in 4 degree increments, gotta love those Chinese! ;)  Although, actually it works better for idle pressure being 32 on a Nissan system, wide throttle 38 psi.  That's if I remember correctly.  And the gauge wiggles quite a bit.  Going to have to test drive and listen for detonation.

IMG_6709_zpsd8209a54.jpg

New tires on!

IMG_6710_zpsd6500a70.jpg

Ooooooo, sexy!!!

IMG_6714_zpsf9312717.jpg

Old regulator off, mocking up for new.

IMG_6712_zps9ce56c0f.jpg

IMG_6711_zps9d3137f3.jpg

Cut the tab off an old fpr I had.  Current one is still fine so I can reinstall if necessary.

IMG_6713_zps30eb442b.jpg

Welded on the tab.

IMG_6712_zps9ce56c0f.jpg

IMG_6715_zpsab209c50.jpg

Old one.

IMG_6720_zpsfe4d9cef.jpg

Finally done!  Note:  Tighten the bolts before turning on the pump.  It sprayed fuel from the four bolts that holds on the top of the unit during the first test.  I feared the worst, but simple tightening and the leaks stopped.  Will do some driving around and check for additional leaks but seems to be pretty good.  I would have put a 90 degree fitting on the bottom but the fittings supplied with the unit had some kind of anti-leak hot glue around them so I decided to bend the fuel rail to the point where it worked without kinking.  Barely clears the hood, but good enough!  I will report how it does later.

FPR works great, don't think it's going to solve my problem, but we'll know on a cold morning.  Tires are something else.  They aren't performing near as well as expected.  I think one of the problems is I have them on the 6.5" wide rims.  They're a bit pooched.  Realistically a 15x8 would be a lot better choice.  Think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and find a set.  I'd like to find some tomorrow, but doubt that's going to be possible in town.  Going to do some craiglist checking, maybe I'll find some.

Well, pulled the trigger tonight on some XXR 532s in a 15x8 with 0 offset.  From all that I've measured, they should fit.  Might have to beat out the rear wheel arch a smidgen, but should work.  Bought them from frsports.com, we'll see if they deliver and everything goes smoothly.  Man I hope so!

DAMMIT!! They discontinued the 532s!  All of them!  Not happy.  But I did find another set I liked.  Been working with some dude also named Matt at FR sports.  Call him today and he made a comment of my email address (fasterdatsun) and says he has a '73 240z!  So I'm like sweet, and we get to talking and sure enough he's on Ratsun!  Blitz521 or something, can't quite remember, and I'm like I'm HRH!  It was a sweet bro moment. ;)  So he got me a little better deal on some more expensive rims (very much appreciated) and hopefully they should show up before the end of the week.  Don't think they've shipped yet, coming from Cali.  Might be close.  Should look like this:

002_Silver_112958995404d3ddb946e193_zpsf

Hope I did my measuring right, pretty sure they'll fit without issue from what I calculated.  Wish I had some sort of movable wheel device where you could slide the hub in, etc to make different offsets for fitment issues.  Probably be pretty expensive to make though.

Buy Enkei not fake horseshit XXRs.

Or Rays Engineering, like me.

Sorry, I have never had to  and never will resort to fakes, dont understand why all of you guys cant get with the program of not sending money to china/taiwan/south asia.

20 years ago you didnt have a choice, and real wheels were cheaper for that reason, now real wheels are priced astronomically, because of all the people buying fake.

Aluminum is aluminum. If they hold air and aren't 50 pounds I could care less. ;) Sorry.  However, if you give me the $200 extra to buy the "real" wheels, I will gladly do so to support Japan and not Taiwan!  Of course, now, I'm getting the original ones hopefully as the ones I just posted up are apparently back-ordered until December.  Knock on wood, the gold XXR 532s should be shipping out tomorrow.  I wanted that style anyway, supposedly they had a set left.