w53 camshaft help

Rollover_Red

looking to do a schneider regrind and was wondering if the valve srpings and retainers they recomend will actually work with my head and do they work well. was looking into just doing a steel retainer and whatever spring they recommend for the cam i want. anyone have any experince using their cam regrinds?

also where do i get lashpads that work with this cam setup? dont want to go too big, but this is the regrind i want :

http://schneidercams.com/284-94F_datsun4.aspx

also building this for my LZ22 and gonna do a fresh bottom end rebuild with ARP rod end studs.

not sure if this cam is too much for basically a stock Z22e bottom end.

any help is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only question about the bottom end is: will it reliably live at 7000+ rpm?

A cam revving that high needs a lot of cylinder head flow on a 2.2 liter. Is your L-series head ported enough?

In any case, yes, the Schneider springs work well with the Schneider cam.

thats also another thing i was thinking about. im not sure if i wanted to go this big, but maybe just a step down. im running mikuni 44s and yes, this intake ports will be matching the intake manifold.

any idea to where get the lash pads?

L-series lash pads can be purchased from Nissan.

Port-matching is nice, but will the head flow enough for 2.2 liters at 7000+ rpm? That requires porting in addition to port matching.

Your title says "w53 camshaft". Are you going with a W53 camshaft or that Schneider camshaft? The beauty of an LZ hybrid is that you don't have to rev it high to make good power.

will the stock w53 lash pads work with the schneider cam?

i plan on porting a significant amount, not just the lip of the port.

schnieder only regrinds cams for datsuns, so i have to send in my cam and they will send it back all beefed up.

i understand the low end torque of the LZ22, but also would like a little bit of revability.

and the cam link stated above wasnt a "for sure" idea, just throwing out numbers and seeing what peoples opinions were.

The Z22 crank is not fully counter weighted like the L20B so this is the upper limit for revving and I wouldn't run it there for long. 6K would be better with a 6,500 top end. Yes you can likely rev it to 8,500 but it won't be good for it.

• Like 1

What valves are in your W53 head, the stock small ones?

stock, was looking into getting bigger valves, but wouldnt know where to start.

The Z22 crank is not fully counter weighted like the L20B so this is the upper limit for revving and I wouldn't run it there for long. 6K would be better with a 6,500 top end. Yes you can likely rev it to 8,500 but it won't be good for it.

what if i got the crank balanced? would that help just a little bit?

I just took my W53 head to the machinist and told him I wanted BIG valves in it(280Z valves I believe), but I put almost a thousand dollars into it back in 1995, now it's over a thousand.

Now days I know more and I look at all the A87 heads at the wrecking yards to see if they have big valves and are closed chambered, if they are, that is what I would use, as all they need is ported to be a 219/V912 head, that's a lot cheaper than spending all that money on a W53 head.

I run stock cams because I never rev my engines over 5000rpms, well except the A series, and big cams don't have torque, I don't drive like that anymore, so an engine with a lot of torque is what I aim for.

BTW, that photo is of a head I had done with huge intake valves, you just need big 219/U67 sized valves.

I just took my W53 head to the machinist and told him I wanted BIG valves in it(280Z valves I believe), but I put almost a thousand dollars into it back in 1995, now it's over a thousand.

Now days I know more and I look at all the A87 heads at the wrecking yards to see if they have big valves and are closed chambered, if they are, that is what I would use, as all they need is ported to be a 219/V912 head, that's a lot cheaper than spending all that money on a W53 head.

I run stock cams because I never rev my engines over 5000rpms, well except the A series, and big cams don't have torque, I don't drive like that anymore, so an engine with a lot of torque is what I aim for.

BTW, that photo is of a head I had done with huge intake valves, you just need big 219/U67 sized valves.

ok cool thanks. ill look into it. like i said, i dont think im going to go with the first cam stated, im going to go with the one a step below that one. ill talk to a couple of my buddies with cam experience and make some decisions.

stock pads NO!!!!!!!!!

Schneider only does regrinds now. That means they cut the backside of the cam and you make up the difference by using a bigger lash pad of who knows what size.then adjust the rockers to the lash pad spec.  To hold these bigger lash pads scnheider does make reatiner and I have used them and the nissan alumones also. key is getting the nissan ones from where. As I have never order from motorsport since they moved to Tennesee.

Best guess Im saying 190 lash pads depends on cut of cam and the cut of the head,valves seats, valve stems.

now both cam you mention seem Ok to me.  I have a 460lift 260in/270ex and I think they should hav instelled this when stock. My 521 runs fine with it. Huge increase? well it only a down draft 32/36 and compared to a used old motor it fellt stronger. with a 38/38 it went good. sidedrafts havent tried it but remeber 521 have a low gear ratio. so take that into the duration of the cam senerio.

with my set up I ran a stock inner or outer spring and one perfermance spring  just depends what i had at the time to keep the tension down as this was a daily driver and dont exceed high rpms. this is a 460 lift so I know the stock spring wont compress solid. I think up to 480 is Ok just ck it out.

power can be gain if head is open up to 1.5 in and the manifold is a 1.5 inch. this is cheap

Valves now going to the 1.73 size can cost money and maybe not worth as much to me. Key is on your machinest ability and knwledge of L series heads. Bigger valves means new seats and installed so they dont fall back out and ruin head. I just have a valve grind and measure the valve stems and seats close so when you install the lash pads you can use all one size. I seen hack jobs where they are different size lash pads and you dont want to order sets of lash pads cause the machinist did a shitty job.

I think if the cam is 490 with a short duration or 480 with short to med duration youll be fine as a daily. hope you go sidedrafts as this gets the power out of these cams.  gear ration will help you get on target where you want faster. 

Remeber you got to spend 4 times as much to get 1/4 of the HP out of these motors.

Isky has a 475.275 also  480/280 also Dont know if regrind.

a new grind the will give a base lash pad thickness on a stock head that is not cut!!!!!!!!! the rest is all verible.  I have all the lash sizes from .150 to 200 so that why my heads come out ok. you can very a bit long as the rocker arm wear using a ink pen is close to center.