1976 honey bee restoration

timmers

I am starting a restoration on my 76 honey bee. My grandfather bought it new in 76 and could only drive it for a short time before he passed away. The car has been stored since 1985 and has not been started since then. The car has 6667 original miles on it and needs mostly cosmetic repairs. Interior is mint accept for the dash pad (cracked). I am also looking for some information on the car. It is so far the only one I have seen with a vinyl top, it was bought at the dealer that way. Other than that, it is the stock honey bee. I am looking for the bumper ends if anyone can help. I will post some pics when I get a chance.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I loves me a Honey Bee!!! Please Post Pics!!! Pics are a must.

My 1969 Datsun 510 Race wagon was parked in 1981 and was never started till I bought it 5 years ago. I changed the fluids, put in a fresh battery, and poured gas down the vent tube in the carb and it fired right up!!! FIRST TRY!!! That's what I would do with the Honey Bee, if I was you. I did have to swap out the carb on mine before I could really drive it though, as everything was pretty well seized on the carb, but it ran. :thumbup:

My understanding on the vinyl roof Datsuns is that it was not uncommon for a car or truck to get damaged in transit  between the factory and dealers here in the US. The roof of many a car has been damaged by double stack car carrier trucks. Rather than try to match and blend the paint on a brand new car many dealers would remove any dents that might be there and then install a vinyl roof. Vinyl was popular on high end cars at the time so Datsun dealers could claim these damaged cars had a "luxury" vinyl roof upgrade.

The dealers would win twice in this situation. They got paid for fixing the car, either from Datsun/Nissan or the trucking company, and then they would ad the vinyl roof to the price of the car

• 1 month later...

Hey, just going thru searching for Maine and found this.  We are going to try and put together a Maine meet.  PM me if interested. Anyone else from Maine I havent talked to, feel free to do the same.  Also, I love the car!  Im actually not sure if this is ratty enough for our meet...  maybe just dont wash it first. Haha!