LSD ????

Eriks

Hi, I purchased a diff with clutch type LSD on Ebay. Today I opened the diff and see this (see photo). To me it looks like an open diff, but the seller say it is not the old style but the new style clutch type LSD. Personally I didn't know there existed a "new style".

Here is a link to a similar item on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Nissan-510-240z-maxima-LSD-limited-slip-differential-S30-R160-3-90-1970-/131093733590?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e85cba0d6&vxp=mtr

Should I be happy with this purchase?

DSC01538_zps240a2bb0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say it's an open LSD. Even the viscous LSDs look different from this.

Hold one side and turn the pinion input flange. The other wheel will turn if open. It may be stiff but if you can hold one side and turn the other then open.

Wonder why he swapped the rear covers.....

First pic was with the sticker and a 1 stamped on it.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/240zdogg/e4600ffe-f27a-4e8d-a201-4d274af747f7.jpg~original

Then a primed cover with a 5 stamped on it.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/240zdogg/f425856a-192a-4981-9d36-95d80cecf4a6.jpg~original

That ebay posting is two seperate LSDs. The first pic you refered to was notated as the "old school" Vlsd, the second pick was the cover with the "New style" VLSD. Picture 14 on the posting explains it and shows the #5 stamped cover.

So, I just looked at that ebay action that you linked to.  That guy is full of $#!7, claiming that second LSD to be a CLSD.  Both units he pictured are VLSD units.  CLSD packs rely on a split case/pressure rings where the spider gear shaft wedges between the two sides of these rings to put pressure on the clutch discs, like this:

kaaz_lsd2.jpg

Thanks for all replies. Looking at Picture 20 and 21 ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Nissan-510-240z-maxima-LSD-limited-slip-differential-S30-R160-3-90-1970-/131093733590?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e85cba0d6&vxp=mtr )

He say that this is proof of clutch plates. Reading somewhere else it says: "The VLSD unit consists of stacks of thin plates with holes or slots, all suspended in a special silicone fluid." Well, would you say photo 20 and 21 in fact is proof of being a viscuous LSD instead of a clutch type ??

Pretty sure it is VLSD. 2000+ 2.5RS came with the R160 with the same LSD you have and they are being called VLSD on every Subbie post I can find. The guy may not know or he is trying to get over on people, but either way the newer VLSD is also said to be better than the old clutch designs so unless you plan on getting an aftermarket LSD or a new factory CLSD (not even sure these exist?), you got a decent unit.

Edit: However, decent or not, if you paid for a CLSD and got the VLSD and don't want it, you should be able to get a full refund through Ebay.

Thanks for all replies. Looking at Picture 20 and 21 ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Nissan-510-240z-maxima-LSD-limited-slip-differential-S30-R160-3-90-1970-/131093733590?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e85cba0d6&vxp=mtr )

He say that this is proof of clutch plates. Reading somewhere else it says: "The VLSD unit consists of stacks of thin plates with holes or slots, all suspended in a special silicone fluid." Well, would you say photo 20 and 21 in fact is proof of being a viscuous LSD instead of a clutch type ??

I would say yes.  Those are viscous discs.  As far as better or worse, I'm not an expert, so I can't say.  One other way you might verify is by talking to Subaru and seeing what fluid should be used in either.

It is a LSD. It should be from a 2000+ 2.5 RS. As far as better or worse, subbie forums says it's better but they are usually comparing a 2000+ unit with a 1990ish unit, so who really knows. It's apples to oranges.

If you wanted a CLSD, get your money back and go with an aftermarket setup imo. Both VLSD and CLSDs wear out and most of the decently priced LSDs are going to be 15+ years old with no garuntee as to maintenance. If you just wanted the LSD for a street car, VLSDs usually last longer and are more forgiving as far as maintenance so I would stick with what you have.

Thankfully I got all of mine with the car I bought and none of them had been run in about 35ish years so they are pretty fresh. Sold the r190 for a grand and a r180 for about 700 and trading the r160 for a ported and prepped 219 head. I hadn't noticed the part where you had figured out which diff it was in the thread already.

True, I would have probably kept the R180, but $1k for the R190? that :poop: would be sold in a heart beat. Then again, $700 buys me another datsun so the R180 may of went as well...

Sorry for the thread jack. Please continue.

I have an almost brand new CLSD 3.9 R180 for myself. The ratio of the R160 was 4.625 (confirmed this weekend) and the ratio of the R190 was 5.13 so there was no way I was going to use them on the street. And the R180 I sold had a ratio of 3.54 so I had no use for that either. So I pretty much kept the only one I wanted.

• Like 2