620 problem

dottiethe620

Hey guys,

So I have a 1972 datsun 620 with an l16 motor and she's not starting. She was driving perfect one day and then the next she wouldn't turn over. the only upgrade to the engine is a weber downdraft and thats it. I've tried changing the oil, replacing the fuel filter, cleaning out the carb, and spraying starter fluid into the carb directly. Still nothing. If anyone has any idea of what the problem may be please let me know. I've kinda run out of places to look.

Thanks guys.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

So I have a 1972 datsun 620 with an l16 motor and she's not starting. She was driving perfect one day and then the next she wouldn't turn over. the only upgrade to the engine is a weber downdraft and thats it. I've tried changing the oil, replacing the fuel filter, cleaning out the carb, and spraying starter fluid into the carb directly. Still nothing. If anyone has any idea of what the problem may be please let me know. I've kinda run out of places to look.

Thanks guys.

Kind of vague...  

Anyhoo.. won't turn over at all ?

Are you at least hearing the starter solenoid click when you try ?

Did it ever run at all after the new carb install ?

Did the two events (new carb, not turning over)  immediately follow each other ?

Kind of step us through the events from running to not running.

Hey guys,

Haven't checked to see if theres a spark yet. I'll check it out tomorrow. The truck is at my friends house right now so I cant really go look at it at the moment. 

But the dash and everything works. Lights turn on, radio works, windshield wipers work and everything. I installed the carb like 2 months ago and it ran fine up until last week when I tried to start it and it wouldn't turn over. When I turn the key it will sputter and then stop. 

If it won't turn over, its a starter problem (battery, starter, wires or switches).

If it turns, but won't fire up (start) and starting fluid was tried, then it doesn't have spark. If it sputters then it has some spark, but it might not be strong enough to start. Replace points & condensor - supposed to be done every 12 months/12000 miles (per the 1972 owners manual).

Hey guys,

Haven't checked to see if theres a spark yet. I'll check it out tomorrow. The truck is at my friends house right now so I cant really go look at it at the moment. 

But the dash and everything works. Lights turn on, radio works, windshield wipers work and everything. I installed the carb like 2 months ago and it ran fine up until last week when I tried to start it and it wouldn't turn over. When I turn the key it will sputter and then stop. 

For future troubleshooting purposes, please recognize the distinction between "Won't turn over" and "Won't fire".

"Won't turn over" means the starter won't even engage or much less try to spin the engine

"Won't fire" means the starter spins the engine, but there is no ignition, i.e. no attempt or proof the engine is trying to combust fuel in the cylinders, which either means no spark or no fuel (or even possibly a timing problem such as timing chain jump,  distributor issues, points, etc)

Also, don't tie together something like a carb installation =  not running when in fact you just stated it ran for two months after the install  !   (your first post implied you installed a new carb and it quit running as a result).

This could range anywhere from spark/point/timing problems to fuel pressure (pump), sticking needle valve, etc.

In your case it sounds like there is some measurable amount of fuel and some measurable amount of spark as evidenced by the fact it will sputter a little bit,  just there is just not enough of one or the other.  My guess (from your posts) is that it sputters because you are giving it some starting fluid, so I would look at fuel delivery.  Probably the fuel pump since you already replaced the filter.

• Like 2