80s 200sx (s12) irs into 77 810 wagon?

Damien4884

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything is do-able with a wire feed wrench, time and money. It would help if this was a/ really necessary and b/ an improvement. Don't get me wrong, but I would see this and say "wow someone went to a lot of work figuring this out" rather than "wow rear disc, IRS, I wonder how it handles?". Just saying it's a lot of work for arguable gains. It is a 9 out of 10 coolness factor.

There is a post here somewhere... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/13067-70-wagon-irs-swap-project/ about putting a 510 IRS into a 510 wagon. Have a read through. It won't tell you how to do yours but may save you some time.

I have seen a few good examples and some that seem no so good, i do like the idea of using an OE setup but finding a saloon over here that is totally knackered is pretty slim tbh! Also there are no IRS'd wagons over here that i know of. 

I should add some background on the car, i have a build thread on retro rides

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/127221/1977-datsun-180b-estate-det

When i get some time i'll put it on here as well. At the moment i have a s12 i am breaking and the plan is to use the bits to make the wagon a bit more modern to suit the engine transplant. So front crossmember, rack, IRS (with lsd), discs all round etc

Bit of both, with the extra power I'm not overly keen on sticking to original axle, I have a s12 that I'm breaking so seems like a good idea to me. I like the idea of irs, rack conversion, ease of upgrading to lsd, the potential for a nice air ride install if the mood takes me. However I don't want to lose the practicality of the car so rear seat and load area need to be useable. A lot of the conversion I've seen aren't that great in that respect, the one above with the 510 is pretty good and I think the s12 rear end would work out pretty similar.

Bit of both, with the extra power I'm not overly keen on sticking to original axle, I have a s12 that I'm breaking so seems like a good idea to me. I like the idea of irs, rack conversion, ease of upgrading to lsd, the potential for a nice air ride install if the mood takes me. However I don't want to lose the practicality of the car so rear seat and load area need to be useable. A lot of the conversion I've seen aren't that great in that respect, the one above with the 510 is pretty good and I think the s12 rear end would work out pretty similar.

Find a "real" spring shop that knows their shit.Re-do the leafs,urethane bushings everywhere and a sway bar.I think Jegs has them.You'll hurt an IRS long before the H-190.

6-pot? Do you mean 6-cylinder? Didn't they sell the 280ZX where you live?

No one has ever swapped S12 IRS into an 810 wagon. 810 sedan IRS has been swapped into the 810 wagon.

I was reffering to the fact we did not get 6 cylinder 180b's with the longer hood, we only got them with L18's

We did get the 280zx and a fair amount of other models with 6 cylinders.

Do you have a link for the 810 sedan irs into the 810 wagon?

There is a post here somewhere... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/13067-70-wagon-irs-swap-project/ about putting a 510 IRS into a 510 wagon. Have a read through. It won't tell you how to do yours but may save you some time.

This isn't exactly but gives an idea of what's involved in a swap like this..