This it be, my new whip. Needs a bath

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunt worry you stumped nailroad titties, I've got some people on this here translating business right now. Here's a picture of my 2.0 liter pancake:

IMG_20140105_103243_zps5cd07191.jpg

So far, I've noticed:

new coil

new plugwires

new injectors

new alternator

Throttle cable seems loose, so I'll correct that. Couple wires floating around and some missing hoses. I believe the vacuum system is fully intact, so that's a huge plus. I believe the PO was halfway through a heaterbox replacement. I'll finish where he left off.

Dunt worry you stumped nailroad titties, I've got some people on this here translating business right now. Here's a picture of my 2.0 liter pancake:

IMG_20140105_103243_zps5cd07191.jpg

So far, I've noticed:

new coil

new plugwires

new injectors

new alternator

Throttle cable seems loose, so I'll correct that. Couple wires floating around and some missing hoses. I believe the vacuum system is fully intact, so that's a huge plus. I believe the PO was halfway through a heaterbox replacement. I'll finish where he left off.

Looking good. We had a '72 Westy growing up, learned to drive on that van in fact. Fun vehicles, always reminded me of driving a school bus. I got very good at pulling that engine out though :devil:

I hope I don't have to drop the engine out too many times. I've only had to drop my Beetle engine twice thus far (replace rear main seal, install trans mounts). Feeling lucky

Here's my 73 Bay Window. Needs a lot of rust repair, but it's mainly concentrated in the front floor area, doglegs and areas around the windows. I'm planning on welding up all the side windows to make it a panel van and fixing the crappy doglegs after I get it running. It's currently just a roller:

IMG_20131027_130847_zps4e45481e.jpg

omg that's awesome.

The VW Bus has been the one car I've always wanted to own. I got to thinking that the 73 would be too big a project for me. That's why I jumped on the 78 (couldn't find a Datsun in that time). Found a VW junkyard near me, so I have access to parts and renewed inspiration towards my 73 to boot  (though I was thinking about getting a lowlight with an type1 upright).