eBay Weber kits - what's the difference?

carterb

I bought one of these kits for a friend for Christmas.  Real nice kit and the price seemed pretty reasonable at $284 w/ free shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-510-610-Pickup-Weber-Conversion-Kit-/271280922121?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f299a5e09&vxp=mtr

Today I see this one - basically the same kit for only $189?!  Aparently a Weber clone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-510-610-521-620-32-36-CARBURETOR-CONVERSION-KIT-NISSAN-NEW-CARB-/271359315465?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2e468e09&vxp=mtr

I just love saving $100 but I hate wasting money on junk.  Is this junk?  (I can only assume yes)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that Weber clones have a black choke cap on it them while the real Spain and Italy webers have a white choke cap. I think the one you bought is a real one and the cheaper is a clone.

I spent $300 on mine and bought it through a company called WorldPac who sells Redline Weber kits. Been a good year and its been great, not a single problem.

Weber's are made in Spain and China. The Chinese ones are made with a weber license agreement, so they are weber's. But they lack in quality.

Prior to the 90's, they were made in Italy. So stick with old Italy or new Spain. Redline kits are a safe bet. 

i apparently bought one of the clones a few years ago. didnt know it was a knock off of a weber. i had to replace a few gaskets on it within a year of owning it. one way to know if its a true genuine weber is you will see the name stamped into it. i wouldnt trust ebay with this type of stuff.