Oil for my Z24 in my 720

gryffinwings

Hi, I was wondering what oil weight you guy are using? I'm using 10W30 high mileage, but I'm getting valve train noise, which is why I'm checking clearances. if my clearances are good, should I put in 10w40?

Also I noticed when I started doing valve clearancing that there was a pool of oil right under the cam, but it looks like it's been there for a while, should I just remove it and  put in replacement oil before I put the valve cover back on?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Newer cars use roller cams and every year oil contain less and less ZDDP in them. ZDDP is an anti scuffing agent that protects our cams but not needed in the new cars and it clogs their catalytic converters and enters the ecology as an emission.

15w40 Shell Rotella T or Chevron's Dello 400 is good.  It's a light diesel oil that still contains reasonable levels of ZDDP necessary for use with our flat tappet cams. It's also slightly higher detergent. Just tell the guy at NAPA you have a flat tappet cam (just like a chebby owner) he'll know what you need. There is also a racing oil but can't remember the brand.

I don't see the sense of running expensive synthetic oils on our old worn motors. It will simply leak past the old seals.

The oil caught in the cam valley is normal. Not worth the bother to try and remove. Every part inside the engine block will have old oil on it too, plus the oil pump and all the oil galleries and that oil would have had old oil from before that, and so on. Don't worry about it, 4 quarts of new will dilute it.

Be sure not to use a Fram filter. Get a Wix or NAPA brand. Wipe a smear of old oil on the rubber seal so it will twist off easier next time and inspect the block for the seal from the old filter. You don't want two rubber seals.

• Like 1

I finally checked my valves and changed my oil. The intake valves were just slightly loose, and the exhaust seemed slightly too tight, valves are no in spec, that helped the noise some, then I changed the oil to Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W40. Man did those two things quiet down the valve train noise, the engine also seems to run much smoother. I think I'll stick with running Chevron Delo 400 LE, it's so friggin cheap, I also here that Delo 400 LE performs on par with synthetics.

Look up ZDDP a zinc anti scuffing additive. Every year less and less is added to the oils we buy because the new engines don't need it but ours still do. Most or many diesel oils are exempt from this (for now) and this is the reason for the use of the Dello400. I have no idea what the LE contains but if for gas engines you can bet it has lowered ZDDP levels..

Look up ZDDP a zinc anti scuffing additive. Every year less and less is added to the oils we buy because the new engines don't need it but ours still do. Most or many diesel oils are exempt from this (for now) and this is the reason for the use of the Dello400. I have no idea what the LE contains but if for gas engines you can bet it has lowered ZDDP levels..

Yeah I know all about the issues with ZDDP, also to my knowledge the Delo 400 LE is pretty good and has enough ZDDP, check this thread out:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=811427

• 4 months later...