1981 Datsun 210 hatchback (I need advice)

floyd17

Thanks, I love the little thing. But is the l20b non compatible with the current transmission, or is it just not as fast to accelerate?

Different bolt patterns. The A and L are way different. 

Hell-depending on which 5 speed you have, selling that A 5 speed could fund an entire swap. 

Advanced info, really. But something to keep in mind. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

100 -120, then an L20B from my understanding is pretty much bolt on.

KA needs some fab work. 

From the things I have read, the KA sits on to the A mounts just fine. 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

1200wiki is a great source for all things Sunny. 

I have been reading lots from there lately. 

The 210 transmission won't bolt to an L-series engine, and even if you used an adapter plate it it is a very lightweight transmission which will break behind the torque of a 2-liter engine. It's perfect for a 1.5 liter engine and the light weight means faster accleration. 1981 210 5-speeds sell from $350 for a good used one to $650+ for a rebuilt one.

From the things I have read, the KA sits on to the A mounts just fine.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The KA can sit on the A-series rubber isolators no problem. But the engine mounts (brackets) are totally different and so is the crossmember. Modified brackets may work. As with any engine swap, fabrication is needed. There are no swap kits.

The 210 transmission won't bolt to an L-series engine, and even if you used an adapter plate it it is a very lightweight transmission which will break behind the torque of a 2-liter engine. It's perfect for a 1.5 liter engine and the light weight means faster accleration. 1981 210 5-speeds sell from $350 for a good used one to $650+ for a rebuilt one.

Okay. Thanks for letting me know. I may, one day in the distant future, try this!

Modified brackets may work. As with any engine swap, fabrication is needed. There are no swap kits.

As flatcat alluded to, the engine itself is a bolt in if you swap the front underpinnings out for HL-A10 parts or 80-83 200SX parts. This will also make the L20b swap easier if the HL-A10 donor had an L20b. 

Have to get tricky with the trans mount, but that's easy if you've made it that far.   :rofl:

Heck, for that budget, buy a complete running 80-83 200SX and swap over the suspension, rear end, engine and trans. Basically all bolt-in stuff, big HP and brake upgrade, easy peasy.  :thumbup:

alright. well, i damn sure don't have 2 grand laying around at the moment, that's just all I really wanna spend on a car at this point, being that I'm in high school. thanks for the tip ill remember it. Ill have a damn good 210 one day.. :rofl: just gotta get school out of the way or I'll be living in the thing the rest of my life.