1980 (September) Datsun 210 hatchback

floyd17

After spending a few days researching (with the help of you guys) and inspecting my car thoroughly, I've found that it's a 1980 with the A15(S) engine, (What does the "s" mean?)

Here's the story: we bought it from an old lady in Mobile, Alabama in 2004. My dad was using it for a work car, but upon getting an S10 pickup has had it mostly parked. It is now my car and I'm interested in upgrading some things on it to make it stand out a little, but without throwing thousands and thousands into it. It's a fun car and it's what I learned stick on. It has almost 200,000 miles on it and still runs GREAT. Anyway, enough of the talking. Here's some pictures for you guys to eat up.

2B1CA4CC-757E-4A86-A8CB-6C81DAE32A6F_zps

719D4757-60D1-44F4-AC5D-607A11EC2836_zps

B6E36FB0-B605-4186-9880-6B60ECBE24DD_zps

E812765B-1F10-4A8A-AB75-2BE61E75928F_zps

ACF92537-7A03-4C1B-89FD-606285402DFD_zps

How would I go bout hiding/fixing the rotting plastic?

37442DD7-83C5-4B54-86BA-DF2DDC759F22_zps

How much trouble is it to replace a dash cap and the heater?

E08F81E6-EB81-4FCF-BA50-600BFED99D51_zps

A297180D-0FE8-4561-B166-8E225F509130_zps

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

S = Single Carb

It is a 1981 model

5-speed cars have the lo-po engine with smaller intake ports for increased low-rpm HP. But all 1981-1982 north America engines have medium size ports which are best engines for 5000 rpm usage. The earlier hi-po engines made more power but only over 5000 rpm.,

S = Single Carb

It is a 1981 model

5-speed cars have the lo-po engine with smaller intake ports for increased low-rpm HP. But all 1981-1982 north America engines have medium size ports which are best engines for 5000 rpm usage. The earlier hi-po engines made more power but only over 5000 rpm.,

And where does that play into a new carb?

Suspension/brake swap from a 280ZX. Cut rear springs to match the fronts. Good shocks.

I think I said that in one of your threads already. 

Not sure. A lot of 210s and B210s have been popping up between both forums. 

Upgraded carb is always a good bet. 

Scrub-a-dub. 

14" wheels. Look at offerings from late 70s and early 80s Z cars. 

• Like 1

Suspension/brake swap from a 280ZX. Cut rear springs to match the fronts. Good shocks.

I think I said that in one of your threads already. 

Not sure. A lot of 210s and B210s have been popping up between both forums. 

Upgraded carb is always a good bet. 

Scrub-a-dub. 

14" wheels. Look at offerings from late 70s and early 80s Z cars.

I believe it's already running 14" rims but I want something that's more sporty looking.

But I'll probably upgrade brakes soon but I'm not experienced in suspension work AT ALL. If I tried that at the moment it would turn to shit. My dad might know a bit though. I'll ask. He's ASE certified.

Just keep reading people's build threads. 

Cruise through the 210 section. 

Follow other 210 owners on the forum. 

Grab a notebook. Write down a topic you want to research. 

Write down questions you have and the answers when you find them. 

As more questions come up, more answers will fill your notes. 

Just read and learn. 

You will have a bitchin Datsun in no time!

:thumbup:

There are some straight geniuses around here. 

There are also plenty of 210 experts. 

And don't ever bad mouth datzenmike. 

Just keep reading people's build threads. 

Cruise through the 210 section. 

Follow other 210 owners on the forum. 

Grab a notebook. Write down a topic you want to research. 

Write down questions you have and the answers when you find them. 

As more questions come up, more answers will fill your notes. 

Just read and learn. 

You will have a bitchin Datsun in no time!

:thumbup:

There are some straight geniuses around here. 

There are also plenty of 210 experts. 

And don't ever bad mouth datzenmike.

Will do man thanks a lot

I'm not really sure which of these threads will be your build thread but I figured I would try to help. Just passing along the same info I was given when I got my B210 and was completely lost.

Take off the rocker/valve cover and take a picture of the codes stamped on the head by the rocker arms. Looking at the 1200 wiki (most things A-series are found there), I think you should have the H77 head. Its a regular oval port head that is decent and will allow you to fit aftermarket dual carb setups easily down the road, or will give you massive headaches when you try to explain the manifold you need to a fabricator... Sadly we both live down south and most of the fabricators around here would rather try to talk us into swapping in a v8 that building parts for our little A's.

In another thread you wanted to make 100-120hp. The easiest way to do that is forced induction, but that requires a lot of research. Look at the 1200 wiki for a while and try to get a solid understanding of what the project will take. If you get lost ask more questions. Biggest thing with a limited budget is don't buy anything you don't need until you are sure you are going to use it.

Here's a link to the 1200 wiki:

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Datsun_1200_encyclopedia

The forum there is very helpful and has a lot of info on the A-series engines as well.

Update!! I found tons of interior parts in the trunk! The original seat cover for the driver side seat, the cover for the sunroof and it's case, the steeringwheel housing, the glove box face, the parking brake handle shield, the cover for the ac unit above the passenger Floorboards. and numerous plastic pieces I have yet to find a place for! I don't have all the things I listed pictured, but I gave her a serious bath today. Looks great! Here's the photobucket link containing all the pictures of my car: http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/Gavin_Gainey/library/datsun?sort=3&page=1