63 320 Pickup Project

Spent the last few days reading other peoples posts and got me more excited for my own project.

I'm new to Datsun vehicles in general but have been wanting to build a 320 since I first laid eyes on 1. Picked this little guy up a few months ago but due to issues with transport have only had it home for a week now. This morning I got all of the fuel lines primed and got the tank re-installed and was lucky to see that after just a few adjustments it fired right up! It has a leak in the front right brake (my next goal) but hopefully soon I will be able to test the trany (anyone who knows how to shift the column shifters advice would be greatly appreciated :D )

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is pretty awesome. for right now I want to get it roadworthy with the current stock parts. once that is complete I am hoping to save up enough to turn it into a little hot rod. Have been looking at a lot of R33 GTR engines and suspension setups but will know for sure once I get it drivable. defiantly going lower and would like to make it a step side.

Don't have many pics yet since it is in such a small space but here are a couple:

Loading onto the trailer:

WP_20131118_002_zpsc68a547a.jpg

Where it sits now:

Bed3_zps64193d8f.jpg

• Like 2

Spent the day working on the brakes and should be stopping fine soon. Got bored and being as I had to use paint stripper to remove the old drums (3 layers painted onto the hubs) I decided to pic up some racing red caliper paint. Took the time to strip them bare and sand a bit then after the 2nd coat brushed a nice coat of wood chips onto them O_o .. . Would start over but plan on going full discs so I guess for now I will have race red drums complete with specs of debris in the paint :D.

Welcome  B)

The only piece I see missing is the hood badge, but what I am really amazed to see is that 1962 grill, I also have a 1963 with a 62 grill.

WP_20131202_003_zps93d6c61f.jpg

Do you have the lenses for the front turn signal lense rings, they are not actually supposed to be separate.

As for the column shift pattern, it's kinda strange, but I will try to explain it, 1st gear is towards the dash then up, second is towards the dash and down, 3rd is towards you and up, and 4th is towards you and down, reverse is towards the dash, then pull the lever towards the passenger, then go farther towards the dash and then down. 

Welcome  B)

The only piece I see missing is the hood badge, but what I am really amazed to see is that 1962 grill, I also have a 1963 with a 62 grill.

WP_20131202_003_zps93d6c61f.jpg

Do you have the lenses for the front turn signal lense rings, they are not actually supposed to be separate.

As for the column shift pattern, it's kinda strange, but I will try to explain it, 1st gear is towards the dash then up, second is towards the dash and down, 3rd is towards you and up, and 4th is towards you and down, reverse is towards the dash, then pull the lever towards the passenger, then go farther towards the dash and then down.

I don't think I have the lenses or the hood badge anywhere. Good to know what to look out for though. I think I understand the shift pattern but will have to try it to know for sure. Reverse was my biggest curiosity.

Thanks for the help!

did you happen to pull the adjusters and lube them? 

first time i did, i never skipped that step on a datsun again. 

Yea, got lucky and the shoes looked like they were replaced somewhat recently so I lubed everything up on the left cleaned up with some brake clean and popped the drum back on. The right side however I had to order a new wheel cylinder from a later model pickup (70 something) since I could not find a place to order the stock fitting (broken fitting in earlier post) and I will be installing that soon as well as making sure everything is lubed up. Brakes are 1 place I really don't want issues so I am going over them with a fine tooth comb lol.

Thanks for the input though, appreciate all the advice I can get.

• Like 1