Need to find Datsun Pick up Parts

Doji

I own a 1971 Datsun 521 pickup with i "believe" the f4w63 4 speed manual transmission that comes default with origional truck. Im having several issues and need some new parts. The first and foremost is I need gearbox syncros, preferably a whole kit. I've priced checked for days online and can only find a repair kit for more then 300$ and i just can not afford that. I was driving the truck home one day and I shifted into 4th gear and it wouldnt come out. I had the transmission dropped and pulled and found out i guess that when it shifted into 4th it moved too far and now will engage passed the actual syncro/gear, locking it in fourth. (im not a real good mechanic in the sense that i dont know the specifics of the individual parts). I was told a new set of syncros (syncro mesh gears i think was the term) would fix this.

The other problem im having is that on the temperature gauge theres a break in the color bar, about in the middle of temperature gauge. If im driving and the temp gauge hits this mark and stays there for too long or goes past it, it will start to spew water from somewhere. Is this supposed to happen? Am i putting too much water in it? I could really use some help as i Love this truck but just can not find the parts i need or answers to my problems. Please help

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably easier to replace with a used 4 speed. (be sure they are 26" long) Besides another 521 four speed, the 510 wagon and the early 620 four speeds are the same gearing. The 510 sedan and 710 sedan/wagon will also work but the gearing is slightly different. You will need to plug the end of your 521 driveshaft spline where the bolt is/was if using any transmission other than a 521. Use a 40mm block core (freeze) plug.

521flangeonnonflangeF4W63needsplug.jpg

Fill out your profile location so people will know where you are. You may have a neighbor with another 4 speed.

Then start a want ad here... http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/5-drivetrain/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc

Probably easier to replace with a used 4 speed. (be sure they are 26" long) Besides another 521 four speed, the 510 wagon and the early 620 four speeds are the same gearing. The 510 sedan and 710 sedan/wagon will also work but the gearing is slightly different. You will need to plug the end of your 521 driveshaft spline where the bolt is/was if using any transmission other than a 521. Use a 40mm block core (freeze) plug.

521flangeonnonflangeF4W63needsplug.jpg

Fill out your profile location so people will know where you are. You may have a neighbor with another 4 speed.

Then start a want ad here... http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/5-drivetrain/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc

I am that neighbor

hahaha i cant believe ive searched for as long as i have with no success then within 10 minutes of my post here finally have answers. For the sake of asking, is there something wrong with the tranny? I mean why did you pull it from the truck you bought?

• Like 1

so good news and bad news. I tried putting the tranny in as a unit instead of messing around gutting it for the 4th synchro. the tranny has a bad bearing (at least 1) knocks in neutral, 1st, and grinds and knocks hard in 3rd. thats the bad news. good news: 2nd and 4th are smooth so im assuming that the 4th gear syncro is good. looks like on my next day off im gonna have to pull them both and gut em and make one working tranny. sad face still though, ive finnally got my missing syncro

so good news and bad news. I tried putting the tranny in as a unit instead of messing around gutting it for the 4th synchro. the tranny has a bad bearing (at least 1) knocks in neutral, 1st, and grinds and knocks hard in 3rd. thats the bad news. good news: 2nd and 4th are smooth so im assuming that the 4th gear syncro is good. looks like on my next day off im gonna have to pull them both and gut em and make one working tranny. sad face still though, ive finnally got my yjmissing syncro

gj. Fuck. That's shitty. I thought ut was a good tranny. I owe you. Mebbe I can score a matchbox at the yard one of these days.