L20ET INTO A 720KINGCAB

720LOW

Howdy, hope we are all well...

New news on the project, dropping the L20B build well it's built but I want to do something different! lol

Okay I have a L20ET plus 5speed dogleg box H pattern from a MR30GT SKYLINE. 85mdl

I have all the goodies loom computer Upgraded Turbo R33 Stock, 3" dump XR6 front mount radiator from the MR30GT DR30GT?? 

It's from my basic understanding a 6 cylinder 2L it's the size of a L24 I guess, I have no real idea what i'll need to do to get her in but any information about the motor itself plus other mods similar would be awesome! 

Thanks in Advance, Jason 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sawzall ftw!

Not 100% sure because I've never done it personally, but you are probably looking at cutting the firewall, custom mounting or even building a dash, your sifter position will be odd unless you use a short trans, but it should be possible. Push the engine as far forward as you can, mount the radiator as far forward (towards the grill) as you can, and run an electric fan. You might be able to get away with just light firewall modifications if yo can push the setup forward enough. You will also most likely need a shortened or custom driveshaft.

Good luck, hope it all works out and you find some more helpful answers.

I have an L28 that I pulled out of my 510 that I'm contemplating of dropping into my 720 4x4.

It will fit without removing the firewall....but..one has to raise the front of the L6 (crank pulley) to clear the frame.

This creates a couple of problems.....hood-valve cover interference

Carb(s) are not a problem because I'll be running SUs

Other issue is the rad......no room.

But.....I have a couple of different styles of bush guards(bumpers) and could incorporate that within it... or......right behind it.

Of course I'll have to modify the L6 oil pan to clear the front diff

I won't be hacking up the firewall

P1010045.jpg

This guard would work a little better for me to fit a rad....

P2240002-1.jpg

I have another 'off road' bumper out in the back 40 I'll be checking out.....

Go for it.....

• Like 1

long story short, it wont fit

the very first call you should make is to enkelmans in braeside, ask for bernie, tell him you have an 80's nissan commercial ute (/full chassis) that came with a 4, and you want to put an inline 6 in it which will need a recessed firewall or a chopped frame to suit

if he says yes, you're up for a lot of welding and otherwise a pretty big project
if he says no, sell off the engine and maybe look at a VG or something if you want a 6

Thank you all for the reply's! 

I am quite hopeful, to try or maybe give it a shot! I have a few good mates on the the welding end for the firewall and cross member sump etc... steering may be an issue being a right hand drive I will have no issues with the efi etc main concerns are the torsion bars is their any other options for the front end I would love coils over the Independent F/end. but happy either ways to work around if need be.      

Gary, thanks for the reply! I shall give them a call Monday. I wanted to go an SR20DET but found this and thought mmm interesting as I drove it before I took it out and the thing ran like an absolute dream on standard boost I thought I could maybe get it in with not too many hassles but yes could be more trouble than it's worth being an L20ET hoping not to engineer or re-reg it ever and if I were pulled over if they looked at the engine number they'd see L20 and leave me alone LMAO optimistic yet could get away with it! ;) lol

Um I would maybe find a Z guy here in Aust as this would suit them perfectly if worse comes to worst. I will be doing some proper measurements tomorrow. 

Thanks for all the help anyone else with info much appreciated as I am doing it on a very tight budget!

Jason