Clutch Slave Cylinder Problem

510SSS

Hi everyone, I have a L20b with a 280zx 5 Speed, I looked under my hood today and I noticed hydraulic fluid leaking on the ground. I have a MasterPro, slave cylinder from O'reilly's and It appears to be leaking directly from the area where the rod is inserted into the rubber boot. Is this a common problem with chinese slave cylinders? Should I try to get the Japanese Branded one? Or could an incorrect adjustment of the slave cylinder have caused this? I drove the car a few months ago with this setup and the clutch operated fine. Now i get no pressure at all when stepping on the clutch. Do they just fail like this when brand new still? When buying a replacement I should ask for a slave cylinder for a datsun 510, and not the 280zx correct? Also can I change the slave cylinder with the engine and transmission fully installed in the car or must I do it now while the engine is out?

• Like 1
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the slaves are the same. However the 510 uses a threaded rod with a half ball on the end and a 12mm jam nut.

the Z car one might use a different rod. You could just use the old rod and use the newer slave.

I can change this with the engine and tranny in the car correct?

Im hoping this is not s serious question as You can tell by looking at it. breck the hose off first  then loosen the 14mm bolts then unscrew the slave from the hose.

Of coarse you can!  maybe a 510 is too much for your skills as these are simple cars.

• Like 1

Hainz talks about skills and he cant even spell basic english words correctly I find it quite ironic. Anyways, I just wanted to make sure of it, no need for a childish insult mr. hainz. Thanks for the useless info, I can see the slave cylinder I know what kinda rod it has, and I see the nuts including you. I kno you have no life so you haveta go trying to crush peoples dream's of building a 510 cause you think you're some god (In your own head). Haha hit me up sometime if you wanna race 510's at Infineon, I'll smoke your L motor ez with mine. Normally i have seen you give some useful advice, but now my formerly good impression of you as a person has completely evaporated.

What good is a Chinese lifetime warranty when you're stuck on the side of the road for the 3rd time, in the dark, waiting for your wife to come pick you up and pay for the towing truck?????

280zx slave cylinders are under $50 at the dealer. 510s are $60 if they still exist.

30620-B5026 is a Nissan $5 repair kit for re-building the 510 slave. All you really need is the rubber cup inside. Chinese probably assembled and tore the rubber cup. Junk in a box. If you get a replacement one take it apart and clean out the metal fileings and crap inside first.

Hainz talks about skills and he cant even spell basic english words correctly I find it quite ironic. Anyways, I just wanted to make sure of it, no need for a childish insult mr. hainz. Thanks for the useless info, I can see the slave cylinder I know what kinda rod it has, and I see the nuts including you. I kno you have no life so you haveta go trying to crush peoples dream's of building a 510 cause you think you're some god (In your own head). Haha hit me up sometime if you wanna race 510's at Infineon, I'll smoke your L motor ez with mine. Normally i have seen you give some useful advice, but now my formerly good impression of you as a person has completely evaporated.

Hainz is a bit crusty for sure, but he's seen it all including 510s left in car ports to rot because someone couldn't figure out how to change a gasket. We/he have no idea of your mechanical skill level so go easy on the old guy. He can barely use a computer and he doesn't even have spell check.

Hainz is a bit crusty for sure, but he's seen it all including 510s left in car ports to rot because someone couldn't figure out how to change a gasket. We/he have no idea of your mechanical skill level so go easy on the old guy. He can barely use a computer and he doesn't even have spell check.

Thanks alot Mike, I was able to find a part number for the 280zx slave cylinder and I found one Japanese made for only $25 through my local Napa Auto, at least I know I can count on you to pass on some honest and useful information. Sorry to be so harsh on you Hainz, just the rudeness of your response really caught me off guard. Maybe try having a few extra cold brews before posting next time and you'll enjoy yourself more.