standard L16 to AUTO 4.3

sebpv

Hey guys,

Ive had a 97 GMC Sonoma as a project for a while until I finally found my dream truck: a 1973 Datsun 620.I really like the fact it is a 4speed. The downside being that its as "torquy" as a lawn mower... So I wish to upgrade the engine. Since its a small truck, I know that a 4.3 will make a difference.

My problem is that Im not sure yet how I can go around swapping a floor shifter to a steering shifter. The Sonoma has the lever on the column as opposed to the center console. So should I just swap the steering column and find an ECU to control shifts? I dunno much in that domain. Is the configuration important when swapping engine and trans? Also I searched on a few threads on how to swap AUTO to MANUAL so doing the opposite should work?

Keep in mind that I already own a complete GMC(minus the ECU and a fan) so it should be easier.

Any type of advice will be appreciated. It is not about wheather or not I should swap engine but more HOW TO considering the change of transmission

thanks for the help everyone!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No I havent, Im just going off other threads. Its been done. They say the V6 is a nice fit and a good choice considering the 620 has a small engine bay. You can also find some black and white references on davidcmurphy website.

Can you specify why a new column has to be fabbed? I already own the sonoma steering column which i could use, can I?

the auto box is electronic controlled or mechanical? If it has a mechanical shifting on the box itself don't use the steering shifting, just fab a shifter to the box on the floor. Its should be easyer.

Well all i can add is that theres nothing protruding on the AUTO transmission so my guess is that it is electronically controlled. So when using the Sonoma harness, would the steering shifter do the controls along with the ECU?