engine pops out the carb and kills it

Justin Tawney

so when the engine revs up or randomly it pops out of the carb sometimes shoots flames and kills it. the idle is close to right and the timing chain was just adjusted and timed as close as I could get by ear. would that be a bad valve? I am juyst tring to get it home about 5 to 10 minute drive away so I can work on it at my house. is there any way I could keep it running enough to get it home? please help

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Backfire through carb...

Spark jumping to wrong cylinder. (rotor or cap carbon tracked, bad wires)

Intake valve too tight and not closing properly. (adjust)

Intake valve burnt or bent or otherwise not closing properly. (replace or rebuild head)

Exhaust valve not opening, rocker arm fell off. (put back on)

Carb goes suddenly lean. (float set to high, jet plugged, fuel filter dirty)

Check and set valve lash.

• Like 1

Timing chain was just adjusted? You sure your cam timing is right? Distribitor oil pump alignment correct? Backfiring through the carb is normally a timing problem, or a really lean carb, but since you mentioned "timing chain" i would think that is where your problem is.

I would call a lean carb more of a spit than a pop with flames. But it usually stops the motor as well. Timing it by ear. probably not close enough. If it still has points you can use an ohmmeter or a test light. hook it up to the points (disconnect it from the condenser) and slowly turn the motor by hand. When the points break open and the opens the circuit, look at the pulley. Adjust, repeat. That is how you do an old dirt bike, or an aircooled VW when your poor. I have made them with a dome light bulb ( torpedo style) and some wire. As stated above, recheck cam timing and valvetrain.

• Like 1

I set the timing chain exactly what the book says. found tdc lined up the cam shaft put the colored links on the right spots. its all correct. and at tdc the rotor points to number 1 spark plug wire which is to the left when looking at the engine getting spark to all 4 plugs readjusted the idle on the carb a few times trying to find the right setting to keep it running. and when it pops sometimes it pops a few times or once and dies right away starts buck up but will poop again.

Justin your the Man . Timming chain sounds right.

ck the valve lash on the rockers IF you open the valve cover.

But I would ck the dizzy like Datsunaholic says for points or possible condensor(if still running points). Or adding a MSD coil or Supercoil or a later EI coil or removing th ballast resisitor could do this also while still running points. If those are still stock ck for dizzy wear . the shaft will wiggle as Datsaholic said.

then look at carb.  try run with choke see if runs better.  if runs better then you know your ignition is fine.

Opening all the way isn't the problem. It's that they have to close fully and tightly to contain the fuel/air explosion. It any leak out it will light off the fuel and air in the intake and explode out the carb.

Backfire through carb...

Spark jumping to wrong cylinder. (rotor or cap carbon tracked, bad wires)

Intake valve too tight and not closing properly. (adjust)

Intake valve burnt or bent or otherwise not closing properly. (replace or rebuild head)

Exhaust valve not opening, rocker arm fell off. (put back on)

Carb goes suddenly lean. (float set to high, jet plugged, fuel filter dirty)

Check and set valve lash.

Check the valve lash. The clearance between the valve and the rocker or cam follower. If no clearance, maybe the valve is not closed all the way.

I had to go check some of your other posts to get all the info. You rebuilt the carb and one of my possible causes of a backfire is running lean.

Primary jet has dirt in it blocking the flow.

Carb loose or gasket leaking vacuum.

Fuel filter plugged or float set too low.

Yes. I know that.

This is how it usually works. You describe a problem, but I'm not there and don't see what you see, so I ask questions. Did you try this... have you tried that. You try it and get back to me. Slowly but surely the problem is isolated and can be fixed. There are so many different thinks that can cause this we have to eliminate them sometimes one by one. Skipping over one is no good. We could go on for days only to come back to it.

Seems to me you asked for help with a distributor and I offered suggestions to try that were ignored and it was a waste of time.

So,..... did you look at the carb?

I had to go check some of your other posts to get all the info. You rebuilt the carb and one of my possible causes of a backfire is running lean.

Primary jet has dirt in it blocking the flow.

Carb loose or gasket leaking vacuum.

Fuel filter plugged or float set too low.

ok so it runs I can drive it down the street and around the block blinkers don't work so didn't drive it far and now the oil looks like chocolate milk :( that means I need a new head gasket right? and ive been trying to get some of the bondo off so I can get to the few rust spots im going to cut a chunk off the left side of the bed and weld a piece of sheet metal. and the front end between the two blinker lights is all messed up. been trying to pull that out and make it straight again.