My new 620 project just took a crap on me!

So, I bought a 620 last week, first one ever. Drove it home from Redding last week with a few minor issues but mostly fixable. Was headed back up to pick up some parts and the damn tranny went out. My first experience is not going so well....

So now I sit at an exit in Williams waiting for a friend to come trailer me back to Redding where I can hopefully figure something out....

Scottie

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has an L20 with a 5 speed in it, and as for out if oil, I'm pretty sure it was. The P/O said it was good to go, so I never crawled under it to check myself. Lesson learned on that one! The clutch disengages, and you can put it in gear, but when letting out the clutch, all you hear is a loose ringing metal to metal sound. Was rolling up 5 at about 65 when it happened. Coasted about a 1/2 mile then CHP pushed me off another mile with no other sounds or issues.

Could just be the clutch exploded. Either way, looks like the trans needs to come out. Not the end of the world but if it's your only car that's a big bummer.

That seems to be the consensus. It was my only vehicle, and I should have known better as it had been sitting in his yard for about 3 years. Gonna drop the tranny tomorrow and see how the damage plays out.

I agree. Its rare a tranny will just blow without some warning. Grinding or hard shifting, something. Before you pull it I would check to see if the driveline spins when its in gear and motor running but dont climb under it. I had an old thunderbird I blew the rear end with similar symptoms. I just bought an exedy clutch on rockauto.com for my 510 for 85 bucks, and I see trannys for under 100 all the time. So it shouldn't be too big a deal

Williams is a bad spot for 620's

I broke down there on my way home from oregon in a 620 i had just bought.

Well I'll be rolling thru Williams tomorrow, gulp...

Fingers crossed the 620 I just bought keeps rolling thru. It's too low to crawl under at this point! ;)