1966 datsun 520

Nath

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome aboard.

I'm not sure what you are asking as there is no 'conversion kit' available to swap the SR into a 520 pickup. There is a kit for the 510, but that is a car and a completely different chassis. It might be you are confusing the 2?

Any SR swap into the 520 will require custom motor mounts.

How about some pictures of what you are working with? :D

Welcome  B)

Conversions like this are pretty well make it as you go, so you are going to likely have to do it yourself, but maybe you can make the kit and sell it.  :)

I got a 1966 520 datsun 1300 and my plans are putting a sr20det in it I was going to buy a conversion kit but my question is when I get that put in will I need the measurements of where the crossmember will need to go?

I got a 1966 520 datsun 1300 and my plans are putting a sr20det in it I was going to buy a conversion kit but my question is when I get that put in will I need the measurements of where the crossmember will need to go?

You guys 'down under' have a genetic disposition for building crazy shit. I call it the FAB gene.

You will need to make everything yourself. Everything will be a 'one off' part.

You will need a high pressure electric fuel pump for the SR's EFI, possibly a larger diameter fuel line and it would be best to have a return line to the tank.

You have a 4.875 ratio rear end so you might want to think about something higher like 4.11s maybe 3.889 from a 720.

You will need the SR transmission and the 520 driveshaft shortened and balanced. Measure this once engine and trans is in.

Custom crossmember trans mount... again once the trans is in.

Hole in floor moved.

Speedo cable is on pass side on a shorter trans so you'll need a longer cable from a 71B transmission.

The J13 engine mounts on the frame cut off and something else welded in for them to mount on properly.

The SR is a front sump pan and the 520 steering is in the front so something will need to be done about this.

Much larger rad and electric fans?

Larger custom exhaust system.

SR will have an internally regulated alternator. You 520 is external regulated so that will need to be converted.

I have a front sump pan for an L16/18/20b, they did make such a thing, and it does clear the steering linkage, as I took it out of a 521.

DSCN0954.JPG

Wow, picasa is much easier to use now, copy and paste, it's been a long time since it has been this easy.

I pulled one of those from a 620 4x4 conversion. 

Yeah that's cheating. It's a modified car pan. But yes you can run a front sump... sort of.

Even if the pan had not been modified, it still would have cleared the steering linkage, not sure of why the mod was made though, it wasn't a 4X4 521, just a normal 521.

It has a little dent in it, not sure if it can be fixed without cutting it though.

Even if the pan had not been modified, it still would have cleared the steering linkage, not sure of why the mod was made though, it wasn't a 4X4 521, just a normal 521.

To increase the oil capacity like for racing.

How do I upload pics? Ill put on up the datsun I'm going to call a guy from the mainland who can make me a conversion kit. It is a 1966 datsun 520

Have to say there is no 'kit' for this. Most of the modifications you will need to do yourself. You might get SR motor mounts but you will have to cut the J13 ones out and weld them in.

Ok so would I need to change the crossmember?

There is no 'crossmember' to change in the trucks. The motor mounts are bolted to the frame. The crossmember swap is for the cars. :)

Trying to upload pics but not sure how to?

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/691-how-to-post-pictures-and-keep-online-photo-albums/