Viscous LSD feedback!

xyzalvarez

hey guys..

i did my tiny search and found the sticky about the LSD's.

but still have some questions..

whats the difference between LSD and viscous LSD ?

i found a seller with one and the gear ratio

( sticker foil ) reads : " viscous LSD 3.54 "

it comes from the Subaru SVX 91 :confused:

is that a good or bad swap for the 510 ? any feedback about this one...

axels wise / hubs / gear ratio ??

thanks.1

JC

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

VLSD is a fluid type lsd unit. It is ok for street use but is the least desirable for performance driving. They don't fully engage soon enough and wear out quickly under hard driving. Real Drifters hate them. Still better than the 1 wheel wonder.

The subbi xt and a couple others had a r180 same as Datto.

Not sure about SVX. That's alot bigger car and prolly used a bigger diff?? Not sure tho

hooo i see! thanks for your answer...

i would look for the " regular " lsd then..

this guy is looking around 300 + 80 shipping for it...

almost the same for a non viscous lsd.

guess i should keep looking for it, if im going to swap, at least install something that be worth the hassle..lol.

thanks.

What is considered a 'real' LSD? Lysergic Acid Diethylamide?

The way I understand it, all LSD (Limited Slip Diferentials) are viscious. They uses clutch packs to transfer power to both wheels. You do need to add a special friction lube to your gear oil. The packs will wear out eventually, but can be re-built for pretty cheap.

After that there are Lockers.

Which can be automatic (ratcheting mechanism to disengage the system for turning or cornering).

Or selectable (Air or electric lockers - use a switch whenever you want it locked)

Which leaves a Spool. Always on all the time. Like my Lincoln Locker in my CJ (welded diff).

I have a Trac-Loc LSD in the rear of the Jeep, works great when I hit the throttle, not so much off idle, if at all.

For a driver I'd go for the LSD. Drifter would be a spool... Someday the Jeep will have selectable front and rear.

2eDeYe;74597']What is considered a 'real' LSD? Lysergic Acid Diethylamide?

The way I understand it' date=' all LSD (Limited Slip Diferentials) are viscious. They uses clutch packs to transfer power to both wheels. You do need to add a special friction lube to your gear oil. The packs will wear out eventually, but can be re-built for pretty cheap.

After that there are Lockers.

Which can be automatic (ratcheting mechanism to disengage the system for turning or cornering).

Or selectable (Air or electric lockers - use a switch whenever you want it locked)

Which leaves a Spool. Always on all the time. Like my Lincoln Locker in my CJ (welded diff).

I have a Trac-Loc LSD in the rear of the Jeep, works great when I hit the throttle, not so much off idle, if at all.

For a driver I'd go for the LSD. Drifter would be a spool... Someday the Jeep will have selectable front and rear.[/quote']

Viscous LSD's do not have clutch packs at all, they rely 100% on viscous fluid coupling. That is, they don't have frictional metal to metal clutching, they have discs that rotate close to each other but rely 100% on the viscous fluid to do the coupling after enough sheer force is built up within the fluid, they don't press against each other. Here's an example of the coupling:

108266_7mg.jpg

does somebody have first hand experience installing these units into a dime?

specially the r160 coming from a '92 awd turbo

parts needed, or hubs / axel to use...?

As far as I can remember, all the viscous units have input shafts of different lengths side to side, so you can't just use stock 510 stubs and have them work. Read this if you haven't:

http://kmhafer.datsun510.com/Subaru.htm#Where%20does%20Subaru%20Fit%20in?

As far as I can remember, all the viscous units have input shafts of different lengths side to side, so you can't just use stock 510 stubs and have them work. Read this if you haven't:

http://kmhafer.datsun510.com/Subaru.htm#Where%20does%20Subaru%20Fit%20in?

yeah man...i been reading that link , over and over..lol...i even found it on WRX and subarus forums...thats a popular info link...

thanks for the pic too..

im contemplating going vLSD, for the only reason,,, you can get them easier than the clutch one... last weekend, went from junkyard to junkyard...even some subarus shops..and nothing..only Vlsd..

now from the pic you showed me, need to remove the C clips from the shafts..in order to take them out...whats the reason of the datsun clips not getting in? number of teeth? or lenght? Does somebody tried or done it before?

• 3 weeks later...

The datsun half shafts rely on the differential to have a male splined stub shaft sticking out. That way you can bolt on your 510 female spline-to-4-bolt flanges adapter things. These are the pieces that your half shaft bolts too.

The early subaru clutch-pack R160 diff's had these male splined stubs and your 510 pieces just slide right on and a bolt holds them there.

the later subaru diff's (the viscous ones) all have internal (female) splines. So you have to have a splined shaft that goes into them. Hence, they are not compatible with 510 half shafts.

The datsun half shafts rely on the differential to have a male splined stub shaft sticking out. That way you can bolt on your 510 female spline-to-4-bolt flanges adapter things. These are the pieces that your half shaft bolts too.

The early subaru clutch-pack R160 diff's had these male splined stubs and your 510 pieces just slide right on and a bolt holds them there.

the later subaru diff's (the viscous ones) all have internal (female) splines. So you have to have a splined shaft that goes into them. Hence, they are not compatible with 510 half shafts.

What? Early subarus have a splined stub shaft like this

LSDdiff1.jpeg

which are held in with a bolt down the centers, which is removed and the stubs are pulled out. Here is the splined stub removed and next to the stock 510 stub flange that you replace it with:

axles.jpg