Stop the incessant whinning!

ericsb210

It is driving me crazy! The whine in my 1978 B210 GX 5spd, that is. It has a FS5W63A transmission in it. I am going to change out the front counter shaft bearing as datzenmike has suggested. I have searched high and low and can't determine the bearing part number to order. Does anybody out there have that information?

Also, can someone supply me with the info on how to do this? I understand I remove the front casing, other than the bolts around it is there any special tools that I will need? I do have a gear puller. I am hoping to have everything in order as to make this a 1 day project.

Thank you for your help.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you get the bearing off,, you could take it to Applied Industrial over by South Puget sound CC. ,, they could measure it up and possibly hand you the correct one the same day... They might have to order it though.. Not sure if that is close to you,,, asked if you lived by the lake in your build thread , but you must have missed it.

Applied Industrial

2747 RW Johnson Blvd SW, Olympia, WA 98512

• Like 1

32223-N9000 is the Nissan part for the tapered front counter bearing. About $35 so in the real world about half that.

Yes replace as much as you are able. The front counter is 9 out of 10 times the problem and easy for the home mechanic to get at and change without dismantling the whole transmission.

Thanks for the link LenRobertson, I found the rebuild instructions in volume 7 Issue 1. After reviewing them I am not so sure I want to take this job on. Ratsunmike or someone, do I have to do more then remove the main bearing, reverse return plug and extension housing to get at the bearing in question?  After the above steps can the front counter bearing be removed and replaced?

Here is a pic of a 71 series that ratsunmike has posted showing the gears jetting out of the tranny housing exposing the gears of the main and counter shaft. Am I right thinking the 63 series is the same but smaller?

The bearing would be on the bottom left of picture, it that correct?

bgears_left.jpg

If this is all I would have to do I believe I could do it. Any deeper into the tranny I would definitely have to have a shop or someone I could trust (like a ratsunite) do it. Does anyone know of a shop in the Olympia, Tacoma or Seattle area that they would recommend?

Stupid question. I replaced the fluid in the tranny a couple of days ago and it is still whining after a couple of short drives. Some of the posts talk of adding or replacing fluid as all that is needed to quite down the transmission in some cases....Is the effect of adding or changing gear lube instant or does it take some driving to get the bearing quieted down?

Yes, I do live by the lake

Cool then Applied is just a tiny bit away ,, ,, i  believe that is the bearings they are talking about, I think you should replace both those bearings as long as your there.. I have taken a couple of these types of trannys apart but to be honest i don`t know much more than you,,  but if i can struggle through it anybody can.. There really isn`t anything in there that will pop out at you if you only take off the bellhousing ,, like in picture above

You can do it..

• Like 1

Yeah, bottom left. Only the front case needs to be slipped off to service this bearing. The one above needs a special puller to reach back over the input shaft. As long as it spins smooth and free it's probably ok. Any roughness is bad. It has to come out anyway so if you find it worse than you thought send it in.

Transmissions are mostly ignored and only serviced when they make noise. Sometimes they are low on oil from a leaking rear seal and whine. To the amazement of the owner, topping them up stops it. Trans oil should be changed every 30K miles or so. Bet there are more than a few Datsuns with the 100K oil in them because second owners just want transportation and not to work on them. Third and fourth owners even less.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice man if you are going to tackle that yourself. You will need at least 5tons of pullin power a press if prefered. Not to discourage you is more so that you know olso you should replace all bearings because the countershaft bearing usually go bad at the same time as the main input shaft bearing. I have rebuild many of this nissan/datsun transs and they all had the same bearings going bad.