New guy in town

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome!

Now pics or you're useless  :rofl: Need more info about it too!

Edit: I see you live in San Jose. My very best advice right now? Lock that mother fucker up. Car theft in San Francisco, Sacramento, San Jose and Stockton is some of the worst in the country. I played in the S13 game for a while in Sacramento. Learned my lesson the hard way..........

So, I never thought I'd ever own one. But then I got a new job and I needed a commuter car. Of course a Hyundai or a civic is 100% more practical and smart but I decided that my window of opportunity was there to get a 510. Convincing the wife took a bit of time and she insisted that it look pretty and be reliable. Who knows how reliable this little guy will be but at least it looks good and gives me the ability to tinker.

Welcome!

Now pics or you're useless  :rofl: Need more info about it too!

Edit: I see you live in San Jose. My very best advice right now? Lock that mother fucker up. Car theft in San Francisco, Sacramento, San Jose and Stockton is some of the worst in the country. I played in the S13 game for a while in Sacramento. Learned my lesson the hard way..........

This exactly!  Invest in some good stuff, recommend hijack or something along those lines.  

Welcome.  Now MOAR pics!

More pics to come hopefully next week. Going to do a little wash and detailing as best I can tomorrow morning before work.

Couple things that I would like advice/ recommendations on...

1. I want a drivers side mirror. The previous owner removed the mirrors and filled in the holes. I'm guessing this should be a ridiculously easy project to do (pro level bicycle mechanic but learning about cars) but if it's not please tell me.

2. The tranny is out of a 240z, has a bit of a whine in 4th and 5th gear. If I'm not on the gas= no whine, if I'm just cruising=whine, if I'm stomping on the gas= less whine. My buddy said a good starting point is to check the tranny fluid, and do a flush and that should quiet it down. Any of you run into similar things and have any experience on down the road stuff?

3. Brakes... Stock brakes are weak (iv'e heard it's a well known thing though). I've seen replacement kits out there for not too much and my friends and I can do the work without too much trouble... Anything cheaper than the Wilwood kits though? Trying to be on a budget, don't need race level stopping power but just a little boost.

If the whine is not specific to one gear, that increases the likely-hood that it is not in the transmission.  I had a whine in my differential that sounded like that.  I am in no way a transmission/driveline expert though.  I would be suspicious of the driveshaft to transmission angle due to the lowered rear end.  This can create problems.  If your shaft was not balanced, you would notice the problem at a specific speed.