Oil pump suggestions

shakotan710

I've got an l20b and i'm gonna need a new oil pump soon, any suggestions of what i should get, like just the oem one or should i get one for a ka motor maybe for higher output?

The motor is stock with a weber 32/36 and in the future I plan on putting in a mild cam with dual 40 mm webers

Thanks, Thomas

• Like 1
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say no as the internal trochiod rotors are the same part. Put TURBO on something and you can raise the price.  KA24E from early S13, KA24E and KA24DE Hardbody truck oil pumps are the same, cheaper too. I run the KA pumps on all my L or Z series motors.

They all have different assembly numbers because (I think) they all have different relief spring settings. You can shim the relief valves for more high speed pressure. The rule of thumb is 10 PSI for every 1,000 RPMs expected. No amount of shimming will raise the low or idle pressure. This is determined by pump volume and bearing wear.

Be sure you know how to tell if a high output pump by looking down into the input port.

Normal pump. You can just see the top surface of the rotor down inside. You can just touch it with little finger.

motorHi-volumeoilpump1Lg.jpg

High output KA pump. Taller rotor is clearly above the port entry

motorHi-volumeoilpump2Lg.jpg

I'll bet there are lots of motors running around with a 'high volume pump' that got cheated at the parts counter. You CAN NOT TELL FROM THE OUTSIDE!!! Know what to look for and GET IT..

• Like 2

ok, i just looked up both and the one for the ka would be about 35 including shipping, and the l28 would be 100..but its polished, so i guess its 'better'

Where are you finding that?  I just checked Autozone, they sell a Melling pump M-152.  It doesn't say high volume, but they want $109... Well, that's Alaska, but $75 from Kansas....  I looked up 1990 240sx.....

**further research, that looks like the HV pump.  When looking up the Turbo L28 pump, they offter they same part number, and a second number M-111 that states "rotor length 1.570" std. pressure"

• Like 1

This appears to be the same pump, and if you soom in on the picture, it looks like it is the HV pump...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Oil-Pump-Z24-Z24i-KA24E-KA24DE-240SX-Frontier-Xterra-720-Van-2-4L-/261046337782?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc79300f6&vxp=mtr#shId

I'm just always curious, if it's worth paying double to buy a brand name I know...

It looks like these might be manufactured by Evergreen, I've never heard of them.

• Like 1