Dash

Bambino

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

620 dashes aren't EXACTLY the same, but are interchangeable except the wiring behind them. 

- 73-75 dashes have the metal part for the 3-hole radio integral to the dash.  '76-79 that part was screwed on, due to the addition of in-dash A/C as an option.

- 73-74 don't have the cutout on top for the EGR/Seat Belt warning pod.  '75 only has an EGR pod.  '76-77 have Seat Belt and EGR in the pod, '78-79 have just Seat Belt in 49-State or Seat Belt + Floor Temperature for California.

-78-79 have a slightly different mold to the dash pad, and slightly different side vents than the '73-77.

The dash fascia has 2 versions:  one with the 3-hole radio formed, and one without.  The 3-hole radio type was '73-75, the without was 76-79, though I've seen plenty mixed around as they are identical otherwise. 

The gauge cluster has several versions (which are mostly compatible if you don't use the speedometer switch for the dual points, idle kickdown or the BCDD cut), but have 2 different style of lights (73-75 version and 76-79 version) and 2 styles of speedometer (MPH only '73-77, MPH with small KPH '77-79)

Wiring is different every year, though '76-77 is mostly compatible with each other.  The big differences are in the plug styles, making them pretty much incompatible except for the specific year.

• Like 4

Not so sure you can easily remove the pad from the metal "frame"- I think they're glued together.  Maybe not.   But you can install your existing facia and wiring into the "new" dash frame.  You'll have to remove the whole dash anyway to remove the pad.  It's not easy with the windshield in, though, as the rear top screws face exactly the wrong way.

• Like 1

The dash cap can be pulled from the dash with the dash still in the truck there's like 6 or 7 screws in the top of the cap on the bottom side they can be accessed with the cluster and glove box removed there is also 4 or 5 screws on the bottom of the dash cap that should be easy to access under the dash

• Like 1

Not so sure you can easily remove the pad from the metal "frame"- I think they're glued together.  Maybe not.   But you can install your existing facia and wiring into the "new" dash frame.  You'll have to remove the whole dash anyway to remove the pad.  It's not easy with the windshield in, though, as the rear top screws face exactly the wrong way.

THIS!

The dash is a pain in the a** to remove with the windshield in.  I used a small screw driver(short in lenght :lol:) with some pliers to get a good grip.  

THIS!

The dash is a pain in the a** to remove with the windshield in. I used a small screw driver(short in lenght :lol:) with some pliers to get a good grip.

Anybody ever put a 1/4" socket on a ratchet with a screwdriver bit in the socket?

Like so?

6AC39CB6-4687-4CB5-842D-73FF5B5F10DD-197

I used to have a matco super slim 90 degree ratcheting screwdriver about an inch shorter that the setup above

It is real easy with the dash out of the truck. 

The dash cap can be pulled from the dash with the dash still in the truck there's like 6 or 7 screws in the top of the cap on the bottom side they can be accessed with the cluster and glove box removed there is also 4 or 5 screws on the bottom of the dash cap that should be easy to access under the dash

Much easier with the dash out

Anybody ever put a 1/4" socket on a ratchet with a screwdriver bit in the socket?

Like so?

6AC39CB6-4687-4CB5-842D-73FF5B5F10DD-197

I used to have a matco super slim 90 degree ratcheting screwdriver about an inch shorter that the setup above

Use that to get the top screws out of the metal dash + the 10mms below. 

Picture005-5.jpg

• Like 1