Canadian Vintage Race Car Resurrection

Opus

So I've been lurking around here and decided to show off a bit of what I have been up to.  I found this 510 which had been last raced in 1989.

P2.jpg

It actually had the doors from another well known race car around here from the 70's

P1.jpg

It was is poor shape but at least it wasn't rusty

P3.jpg

The cage was scary. It had to be cut out.

P4.jpg

Can't believe that some thought that this could save their life.

P6.jpg

So I cut out all of the poor modifications and  cage and sandblasted as much of the underside,floors and engine bay as possible. Epoxy paint made that really difficult.

P10.jpg

P11.jpg

P12.jpg

Then we could start the cage work. I think I got a little carried away with it, but I have a family to come home to following a race weekend.

P13.jpg

P14.jpg

P16.jpg

P17.jpg

More to come..............

• Like 3
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to cut apart the front strut towers. My buddy Tom decided to take this upon himself to fabricate. He has helped me with all the chassis modifications and repair. Between the 2 of us I believe we've done about 20 cages.

P18.jpg

P20.jpg

P22.jpg

Then we had to direct our attention to the trunk area.

P24.jpg

P25.jpg

P26.jpg

P28.jpg

P29.jpg

P30.jpg

While we trudged along with the fabrication I managed to talk to the previous owners of the car, one by one. Eventually it became clear that this car had been built from a 1968 2 door car and had been first raced in June of 1969. It had never been street driven! 

March232010157.jpg

Of course we have to fabricate some adjustability into the car. I tried to keep some of the original character, so the previous owners could still identify their past touches.

March232010167.jpg

All the while kinda adding some of my own.

March232010162.jpg

March232010170.jpg

March232010200.jpg

As can be expected with any race car it will have some history. That history included the odd happy dance on the roof, right? The layers of paint on this thing was ridiculous. There mus have been 100 lbs of paint on this car. not including the bondo!

NCR761066.jpg

Then I had to get some primer onto the bare metal, which had up to this point only been coated with metal prep.

March232010151.jpg

• Like 1

This looks great! I really enjoy pictures of the fabrication thats required to make this (and other cars) car become a race car again. Nicely done!

Your title says Canadian ..... so where are you going to be racing this car when it's done?

It has been raced out west in the past. I found the car In Richmond Hill, Ontario. I'm based just out side Montreal so we race at Mont Tremblant, Calabogie, Mosport, Watkins Glen, Loudon NH, Lime Rock. I do most of my testing at Sanair, Quebec and Autodrome St Eustache. 

Vintage series tend to frown on the modern cages because they don't want to stiffen the chassis to gain some advantage. I ignore this as I've seen too many accidents in my life. As far as I'm concerned keep the driver safe under any condition. The only thing I respect is the rule preventing us from going forward of the firewall and behind the rear axle line.  Brackets to the shell between those points....no problem

estimate3951004.jpg

Time for some primer

NCR761072.jpg

NCR761073.jpg

NCR761074.jpg

NCR761075.jpg

P39.jpg

I didn't have any nice doors. It was difficult to find any in my area to a decided to re-skin the ones I had. It's race car so they didn't have to be perfect and it would allow me to practice my sheet metal work.

P31.jpg

NCR761063.jpg

NCR761064.jpg

No Perfect but good enough for my purposes. I'll get some nice replacement doors one day.

NCR761096-1.jpg

NCR761097-1.jpg

I'll mention right now that I love virtually every part of race car builds except body work. Worst part is I suck at it. You'll never see me doing concourse cars.

March232010171.jpg

P34.jpg

P36.jpg

NCR761015.jpg

I kept some of the old character of the car including the removable rad support for quick and easy engine swaps. I pray I don't have to use that feature too often.

NCR761029.jpg

NCR761032.jpg

NCR761033.jpg

NCR761088.jpg

NCR761089.jpg

NCR761090.jpg

NCR761091.jpg

For anyone who doesn't know what your doing (like me). High build primer is your friend. and you can honestly say that that you're not using bondo.

NCR761093.jpg

My wife wanted to have a say in the build, so I let her choose the color. I of course retained Veto rights and agreed on the dark blue she chose. Being the moron that I am, I sprayed it directly on top of the light colored primer which required quite a few coats to get right. Live and learn , I guess. 

NCR761103.jpg

NCR761104-1.jpg

NCR761106.jpg

NCR761202-1.jpg

NCR761204-1.jpg

paint008.jpg

P41.jpg

As with any build there are going to be some side line projects which are done just for the hell of it. I have to keep the metal hood and trunk to respect the vintage rules so I decided to swiss cheese them. It isn't worth the effort for weight savings. Maybe 1.5 lbs max. Gives it a period correct look though.

P38.jpg

estimate3951001.jpg

NCR761049.jpg

estimate3951006.jpg

NCR761051.jpg

The amount of deburring required was just stupid. I don't think I'll attempt that again.

The shell starting to take shape.

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

I made a couple of door skins in aluminum and rolled a bead into them.

paint015.jpg

I had previously mocked up the false floor to cover the exhaust tunnel. A little style with the grip tape can't hurt.

paint016.jpg

The panel work is simple in a satin black aluminum.

paint018-1.jpg

The mocked up dash with some crappy gauges. 

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

I extended the steering shaft as I'm going to be sitting pretty far back. No I'm not that tall. I just prefer to be behind the B pillar in my race cars.

IMG_0075.jpg

I had to stop working on my race car in order to help out a friend who had an engine failure on his FIA L20 Datsun 710. I ended up redoing the engine, rear end and several odds and ends. This stopped progress on my car for at least 3 Months.

InterventionOct2012513.jpg

InterventionOct2012520.jpg

InterventionOct2012522.jpg

InterventionOct2012515.jpg

InterventionOct2012517.jpg

I bought the car in late 2010. To get done with all the fab and paint probably took a year. Getting it all together took until summer 2012. Did some testing in 2012 which required some rethinking. Finally had it out in april of this year. Been to the track about 6 times this year. Stay tuned for more pics and build notes. One thing's for sure... Race cars are never finished.

• Like 1