Performance suspension questions (521)

Hooligan

I need some honest feedback other than use the "search" function.

71' Datsun 521 - L20B so I am not building a high horsepower motor. Getting ready to drop my 18" Titans on.... right now I am running a 3" block out back with the front torsion bars reindexed. Now the wheels are turning so I have a couple of questions.

1. Rear 4 link with coilovers... is there the proper amount of room under the bed to set up a well designed 4 link?

2. Is it worth the cost to run a coilover setup up front?

I know the cost involved with a 4 link and running coilovers on all 4 corners. Just trying to decided if its worth the cost. I know its not needed for what I am building just looking for some opinions.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coilovers > Torsion bars anyday.

As far as performance per $ goes, I wouldn't hesitate to spend thousands on my suspension setup alone, just to get rid of these weak, annoying torsion bars. Chad Copeland's SR powered drift slut has a tube frame front end with all S13 gear, and he said it handles quite amazing. I can only imagine.

A 521 with coilovers, disk brake, ball joints, proper tires, would be indestructible in the corners. 

Why reinvent the wheel?

Look at Bob3's MX520. I'd go with a Miata sub frame if I was going to do a ton of front end work.

In my case I'm thinking about installing Sway-A-Way t-bars, but I need to find out if there is a later model swap that can be installed in the 521 as they are ZERO help if it isn't in their catalog listing.

Do any of the 620 or 720 T-bars fit into a 521?

• 3 weeks later...

Performance and 521 in the same sentence, hmmmm, I am confused, what was this about?

Oh yea, with enough money and time you can do anything, ahhhhh wait a minute, now I remember, this is a truck, you can haul a lot of shit in a 521 truck, now wait a second, I don't know, I am still trying to wrap my brain around performance and 521 being in the same sentence.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I have been driving my 521 daily for over 18 years in many different configurations, right now it is my work truck, the one thing that has been consistent is the torsion bars, as much as everyone hates them, they are not that bad, but when you start trying to lower the 521 truck a lot, then you start running into issues, Datsun/Nissan did not have moar loar in mind when they built these trucks, they built a truck to compete with full size trucks of that era, and they actually did a fairly good job considering, the one thing that made my decade was the L20b, that was the best upgrade I have ever made to that truck, sure it's not as cool as an LZ23, but that hybrid engine did not make such a big difference in my life as going from an L16 to the L20b, it was a different truck.

I personally would drive the 521 you have for a while enjoy it, and if you can find another one for cheap, or a 521 frame, modify that one on the side, when one starts doing all these suspension mods and such, they become money pits, I cannot tell you if they ride a lot better or worse as I have never rode in one with coil overs, but I can tell you this, there is a lot of modding needed to get it low with coil overs in the front, it's not a bolt on by any means, although you can buy a lot of what you need.

I would get it going with the L20b and drive it for a while, get all the issues worked out from it sitting for so long, then acquire all the parts you need and take it back down.

• Like 1