New to the site, love my 620

ricandatsun

Hi all, I'm Denny from NC and I owned a 78 Datsun 620. Love my truck, looks similar to my first car back in 93 (77 Datsun 710). Still stuck with a Weber 32/36 carb that is acting up (high idle and too rich). I might go back to original carb from national carburators. What you guys think I should do...?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Webers are very simple carbs to rebuild. That said many are swapped off old Vegas and Pintos and are ages old and worn out. You will have to decide if woorth rebuilding it. Usually the throttle shaft is too worn.

A replacement Hitachi won't be cheap. A new weber is just under $300 delivered.

I'm trying to post some pics but having trouble.

I would like to rebuild the weber but I'm afraid is gonna go back to high idle. Filled tank Friday night and by Saturday afternoon it was empty (truck didn't move, parked in front of my garage trying to fix the idle and the richness). Made some calls and I can get a OEM carb from national carburators down in Jacksonville, Fl for $280.

• Like 1

if you filled the tank and it was empty the next morning, it doesn't sound like the carb unless the float stuck open and drained the fuel into the engine. Did you check the dip stick to see if that's where the gas went ? 

if the fuel didn't go into the oil pan then it must of drained on the ground or someone had siphoning your fuel. Maybe you got a hole in a hose.  :confused:

to post pic's you will need to have a picture host like photo bucket, Flicker or W/E. Then down load pic's to pic' host, copy IMG code, paste IMG code to "reply to topic box" and hit post, Whammm, ur done 

• Like 1

mechanical or electric fuel pump? Are you getting gas out of it? You could have a bad rubber line somewhere dumping fuel. Had that happen before. Would get fuel to the carb, but not as much as it needed to run correctly. 

Most generic electric pumps only pump 3-4 gallons per hour, that's a lot of float fiddling :)

Electric and I have a fuel pressure regulator (set @ 2 - anything lower than that it would idle too dang high like is gonna blow) between filter and carb. Check rubber and checked for leakage, I don't see anything.

Maybe, dang thieves lol. Can't figured it out. I just need another carb just to swap and double check. Finished installing fender mirrors, lowered 3" in the rear and need to go lower in the front. Need to learn how to upload pics here for you guys to see

• Like 1

Webers are very simple carbs to rebuild. That said many are swapped off old Vegas and Pintos and are ages old and worn out. You will have to decide if woorth rebuilding it. Usually the throttle shaft is too worn.

A replacement Hitachi won't be cheap. A new weber is just under $300 delivered.

Hey Mike have you heard bout tomco carbs? O'railly sells them for around $400 How bout the OEM replacement dat612? they go for around $280. I'm tempted to buy another weber, but with recent experience don't know. I don't like the fact of the electronic choke, think manual is ever. Maybe unplug mine and do the "pumping the gas pedal" a couple of time method.

Webers are fine. Any carb that is old and worn out is junk. As stated yours may have been a factory Vega or Pinto weber carb, rebuilt 6 times and pieces missing.

Why would you go back to a high idle? That can be adjusted.

This could be a worn throttle shaft. They become oval shape and the throttle plate jams against the casting wall and doesn't close. If you give it a quick tap on the pedal and it drops to idle then this is likely the problem.

webers are what everyone are running. i bought a new weber 32/36 dgev (e is for electric choke.)

and a locking gas cap is good but theres also that drain plug on the bottom of the tank. 

never heard of tomco but id say stick with webers is we all speak fluent weber here :)

That's what I've been doing for the past two week, adjusting that weber. The mixture screw don't do anything, float sucks and when in the correct measurement it makes the primary and secondary jets work in the opposite. Don't get me wrong, never had a problem with a weber before. I think the po mess with it and damaged a few things. I just don't wanna put too much and make the engine work harder

I think I figure out the pics...

When I bought it

20130706_000109_resized_zpsa9c416c4.jpg

Working little things here and there

IMG-20130706-WA0000_resized_zps01a0ad82.

After a homemade paint job

20130714_185516_zpsb98bf270.jpg

And with new wheels...

20130719_072334_resized_zps35047e8a.jpg

Thanks to 420n620 for the "Barney style" instructions on "how to post pics"

• Like 2

i love long beds. 

howd you paint the truck? aerosal, paint gun, or roller/brush?

good looking paint job although i like that original blue, too. 

• Like 3

That's what I've been doing for the past two week, adjusting that weber. The mixture screw don't do anything, float sucks and when in the correct measurement it makes the primary and secondary jets work in the opposite. Don't get me wrong, never had a problem with a weber before. I think the po mess with it and damaged a few things. I just don't wanna put too much and make the engine work harder

Don't understand this. Post a picture of it.

Some webers pull open from the other direction?