Drive line carrier bearing

I finally put in my L20 with a new flywheel and clutch kit and 5 speed and pulled out my drive line and of course the rubber part of the bearing is shot( imagine that after setting for 13 years)..do I need to replace the whole fu**ing bearing or can I just replace the rubber part ...thanks.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had mine replaced, it was the bearing that was bad on mine though. It cost 83 bucks just for the bearing! The bearing the driveline dude put it looks much different than the stock one but it works perfect. For some reason the stock one is squished and the after-market on is perfectly round.

I finally put in my L20 with a new flywheel and clutch kit and 5 speed and pulled out my drive line and of course the rubber part of the bearing is shot( imagine that after setting for 13 years)..do I need to replace the whole fu**ing bearing or can I just replace the rubber part ...thanks.

I also had the rubber part rot. It seems to be attached (glued) to the stationery outer surface of the bearing and only supports the shaft in place. I cut a inch wide strip of conveyor belt and wound it around the the shaft until I had a thick doughnut shape, and tightened a large gear clamp around it to hold it in place. Then slipped the bracket over it and bolted it back in place. Perfect fix.

I love these low-budget Datsun repairs! Datsun guys definitely fit the "Mr. Cheapo" category. HAHA :D I also fit this category.

I'll definitely take that as a compliment.

Dave, if you can find the rubber on another shaft (rubber on a shaft?) you might be able to peel it off and slide onto yours (re-using a rubber, damn that's cheap) Just make sure you contact cement it onto the outer, stationery shell, of the bearing and clamp it down.

I found a good bearing with rubber on another driveline. If its the same length, just swap the center driveline. I had to change the bearing out which was no easy job without a press... but I did it with Ryans help and a big hammer.

2eDeYe;7930'']Ice, did you get your bearing thru the driveshaft place?

Yeah I did, I remember you guys talking about them along time ago on "the other sight" and 50 was a killer deal so I figured 83 was about average price.

Dave I think I still have the old one if you want it. The rubber seemed alright.

Canby would be fine. I am still needing a few things to get to the FIRE IN THE HOLE point. I finally,after having the truck for 13 months(and it setting for 13 years before that) have my engine new flywheel new clutch and tranny in. The drive line needs fixin, I just won a Optima battery for 60 bucks on Ebay so...a new voltage regulator and exhaust from the header back and I think I'm ready...