Recommendations for mechanics in the SF Bay Area

asdf

I've got a '81 Datsun 210 and I want get my a15 motor completely rebuilt. I live in the east bay area. Does anyone have a recommendation of where I could get this done? Any good mechanics around here? (also a estimated price would be helpful)

Thanks for the help!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what do you mean by stock rebuild?

three of my cylinders are leaking 10% and the fourth is leaking 28%. So I was thinking about bore-ing the cylinders and getting new pistons/rings

I don't know exactly what I need I'm pretty unexperienced in this kind of thing

A stock rebuild would be just that. No upgrades, no performance gains at all. A stock rebuild on that motor, including bore and hone with new pistons, rebuilding the head, new timing gears and chain, etc is probably going to run you $1500 minimum. That's about the minimum any motor can be built for these days.

Who's going to remove it and re-install it? You?

No, the mechanic would do that. I actually just got my drivers lisence, my dad got me the car and we're want to get it restored.

Do you know of someone who could do a good job at that?

What are you looking for? Cheap, easy, or fast?  Do you have a lot of money to throw at this? Are you looking to learn to fix this yourself or do you just want someone to do it for you? What do you mean by restored? Full restoration? Just make it look decent and get it running and smogged? Crazy detailed or cheap and easy fixes?

Are you just looking to get the motor running reliably and start driving this or are you tearing the whole car apart and rebuilding it? Having a mechanic do that can get very expensive very fast. Money wise it might be wiser just to find a better example to start with then fix the one you have. This is especially true if you are farming out the work.

A series motors are pretty easy, and you probably don't need a full rebuild just a light "refreshing".  Doing the bottom end is very much a do it yourself job if you are mechanically talented. That much leakage could probably be solved by new rings and a light hone. I'm cheap so I'd replace the bearings while I had it apart personally, but not mess with the timing chain unless it had over 200k on the odometer, even then I've never even heard of a timing chain failure on an A series. I'd check the pistons and if they looked good probably reuse them. I'd have the head done at a shop.

TL;DR version How much do you want to spend on this project?

What are you looking for? Cheap, easy, or fast?  Do you have a lot of money to throw at this? Are you looking to learn to fix this yourself or do you just want someone to do it for you? What do you mean by restored? Full restoration? Just make it look decent and get it running and smogged? Crazy detailed or cheap and easy fixes?

Are you just looking to get the motor running reliably and start driving this or are you tearing the whole car apart and rebuilding it? Having a mechanic do that can get very expensive very fast. Money wise it might be wiser just to find a better example to start with then fix the one you have. This is especially true if you are farming out the work.

A series motors are pretty easy, and you probably don't need a full rebuild just a light "refreshing".  Doing the bottom end is very much a do it yourself job if you are mechanically talented. That much leakage could probably be solved by new rings and a light hone. I'm cheap so I'd replace the bearings while I had it apart personally, but not mess with the timing chain unless it had over 200k on the odometer, even then I've never even heard of a timing chain failure on an A series. I'd check the pistons and if they looked good probably reuse them. I'd have the head done at a shop.

TL;DR version How much do you want to spend on this project?

I'm looking to spend less than 2000 dollars. I'm looking for someone who would do a good job and knows what they are doing so that my car will run reliably.

i fear this project might cost you more than you expect. living in CA you have to get this puppy to pass smog. I've always liked the early 80's 210 but never got one for the smog reason alone. you probly dont need to bore out the cylinders or even new pistons for that matter. like dguy210 said, you can get by with a hone, new rings and bearing. but the head will for sure need a full redo. I know this isn't an answer to your question, but good advice nonetheless. If you're not mechanically inclined you should get on it. You will save a lot of money doing things yourself. and you will get as lot of satisfaction and peace of mind knowing it was you who did the work. good luck!

ps. not sure where in the bay area you are but call top jimmy's motorsports in livermore. they know their way around datsuns.

3985 First St, Suite S
Livermore, CA 94551

i fear this project might cost you more than you expect. living in CA you have to get this puppy to pass smog. I've always liked the early 80's 210 but never got one for the smog reason alone. you probly dont need to bore out the cylinders or even new pistons for that matter. like dguy210 said, you can get by with a hone, new rings and bearing. but the head will for sure need a full redo. I know this isn't an answer to your question, but good advice nonetheless. If you're not mechanically inclined you should get on it. You will save a lot of money doing things yourself. and you will get as lot of satisfaction and peace of mind knowing it was you who did the work. good luck!

ps. not sure where in the bay area you are but call top jimmy's motorsports in livermore. they know their way around datsuns.

3985 First St, Suite S

Livermore, CA 94551

Thanks for the information. Do you have the phone number for top jimmy's motorsports?