starter 82' 720

SASdatsun

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the starter was replaced they have a poor poor track record with rebuiling them and ofter are crap out of the box. Possibly why the last one 'burnt up'.

Clean the terminals on the battery. Because the starter was changed I assume the positive cable to it is clean and tight. One last place no one ever suspects... the ground cable where it bolts to the intake. Clean and tight.

If battery terminals are dirty maybe the battery ISN'T 'good'

If it is, then is the motor seized up?

ok, i just replaced both battery cables. i have tried two different batteries that should be good. the motor is freshly rebuilt and today i finally just just pulled it off and it cranked and ran fine. but the starter wont turn but just a hair before it stops and starts getting hot. i pulled a spark plug from each cylinder and then the starter would spin the engine fine. im going to try another battery soon that i know is 100%. im considering maybe a gear reduction starter. not sure if their any good though

If the starter was replaced they have a poor poor track record with rebuiling them and ofter are crap out of the box. Possibly why the last one 'burnt up'.

Maybe you're just putting in crappy rebuilt or cheap... image004.jpg

Usually bad solenoid voltage results is a chatter sound of the solenoid clicking in and out.

A smoking starter is a severely heavy current draw because it's stalled. Possibly the motor is seized?

Plugs out, and it turns, says that the compression is the only thing holding it back... which would tell be the starter is a piece of shit ... or the battery not charged fully.

That would be an awful amount to do this. 

The problem needs to be solved not throw parts at it. This is the second or third starter? cables?

ok, i just replaced both battery cables. i have tried two different batteries that should be good. the motor is freshly rebuilt and today i finally just just pulled it off and it cranked and ran fine. but the starter wont turn but just a hair before it stops and starts getting hot. i pulled a spark plug from each cylinder and then the starter would spin the engine fine. im going to try another battery soon that i know is 100%. im considering maybe a gear reduction starter. not sure if their any good though

. Looking back he says it cranked and ran fine yet the starter won't turn???? So does it run or not?

....freshly rebuilt so is the timing too advanced?  engine firing against starter rotation?

Im actually having the exact same problem with my starter.  Mine is a slow crank and right before it fires it stops.  That was before I smoked the ground cable.  Put fresh cables, new battery, and now it wont even turn.  I think I have an ignition issue, it has rained everyday for two weeks here, havent had the chance to mess with it.  You turn the key and the solenoid clicks but the starter wont turn.  If you keep turning the key the truck finally starts to crank.  Usually get a slow crank and then the truck fires off.  No voltage drop at the battery while turning the key too.  If i find an issue with the starter, Ill hit this thread up again.

Mainly I just wanted you to know that your not alone. lol

I know my motor isnt locked.  The truck ran perfect before I replaced the starter.  I bought a cheap Oreillys starter, it was like 40 bucks or something.

One thing I have learned in 28 years of owning my 720:  DO NOT USE AFTERMARKET REBUILT PARTS! 

Better to find a junkyard original and rebuild it yourself. 

The quality of "rebuilds" will put your truck into the wreckers faster than you can drive it.

Im actually having the exact same problem with my starter.  Mine is a slow crank and right before it fires it stops.  That was before I smoked the ground cable.  Put fresh cables, new battery, and now it wont even turn.  I think I have an ignition issue, it has rained everyday for two weeks here, havent had the chance to mess with it.  You turn the key and the solenoid clicks but the starter wont turn.  If you keep turning the key the truck finally starts to crank.  Usually get a slow crank and then the truck fires off.  No voltage drop at the battery while turning the key too.  If i find an issue with the starter, Ill hit this thread up again.

Mainly I just wanted you to know that your not alone. lol

I know my motor isnt locked.  The truck ran perfect before I replaced the starter.  I bought a cheap Oreillys starter, it was like 40 bucks or something.

Check your timing. Should be about 3 degrees BTDC. Be sure the rotor is returning to it at idle. Too advanced and the motor will fire back against the rotation of the starter and stop it.

Most likely crap rebuilt starters. What do you expect for $40? The Nissan ones are likely over $300. Get a used one from the wreckers for $40 it's 5 times better.

Last I looked I have 12? starters from vehicles I've had or scrapped. 4 reg with two GR and the rest Z series all GR plus a Maxima GR and an SD25 diesel. OH and a 'new' rebuilt S13 starter. Had a starter problem with my '74 so swapped a random L starter in... didn't fix the problem... it was the start signal. So with all these old scrap yard starters, I haven't needed one of them yet!!!! They are that good!

Damn mine is oreillys too!

So, have you hit the 5th starter yet?  It sometimes takes that many to get one that isn't DOA.  Back when Oreillys was Schucks it took me 3 alternators to get one that actually bench tested good...  and that lasted 6 months, because the brush leads were soldered too short.  I fixed that myself even though it was "lifetime warranty" because I didnt' want to have to hit 5 stores and install 5 alternators to get a working one that could die at any time.  I got a totally dead starter from them once too.  Like Mike, I've had better luck with junkyard starters and alternators.

Mike, I've never seen a Z-series GR starter.  I've had several L-series GR, but all the NAPS-Z starters I've had were direct drive.  What did they come in?  My 80-81 510s, 83 200SX, and 83 720 all were or are direct drive.

I went through about 3 orielly starters recently before getting an original at the yard for about 35 bucks. Swapped it in the parking lot. So far no issues. I don't even wanna start on the alternators from there..

I tried putting the old starter back on today. (The solenoid works half the time is why I'm replacing) but I get it on and after playing with the solenoid it works and spins the engine perfectly.

So I take oreillys crap back and they claim it's good so they won't let me have my money back, so I figure I'll try the gear reduction starter. It should be in tomorrow so I'll update on that.

If it don't work I'll make sure it don't pass thier test and I'll walk out with my money back.

I'm done with oriellys