To buy or not to buy?

Raggleflaggle

i've been toying with this one craigslist ad the last few days and i can't decide if this would be a good idea, considering i know nil of the datty trucks save for that i want this one. oh wise ratsunners of the 620 forums, what say ye?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/bar/3914498053.html

ps- it needs a timing chain tensioner and has no title. but is just ever so slightly within my price range.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the price? I didn't see that.

Two things wrong here...

No title.... Well why not? Is it stolen or mixed up in some kind of ownership war? His ex g/f's cousins brother's friend? Why should YOU have to chase this down?

Not running... 'Needs tensioner' this is Datsun speak for "I was replacing head gasket and didn't know to block the tensioner and it fell out inside the timing chain cover and I can't fix this".

Why would it need a tensioner? Either the chain has stretched and is loose or someone tried to replace it and did it wrong and it's fallen out inside. Blown head gasket... is the head warped? The bottom line here is IT DOES NOT RUN. This is important because you have no idea if the motor is any good, does it burn oil, overheat, does the alternator charge? does it drive properly? does the transmission work? does the differential make noise? do the brakes work? does the steering work? without it running just about anything could be non working.

As it is, it's scrap metal or a parts car to keep another 610 on the road. Sorry if this is brutally frank but you could end up with a pile of metal needing thou$and$ to get on the road.

• Like 1

Its worth $700.  Its clean & original looking.  Check it over super good.  Turn the motor over by hand.  Look under truck for leaks & worn rubber parts.  Push in clutch & brake pedal.  check all glass & seals.  Roll windows down.  check floor boards for rot.  Follow wiring harness from front to back for damage.  Shift trans.  Check tires for dry cracking.  open hood & doors & check for hinge wear.  Turn steering wheel.  If you can, jack it up & wiggle front tires.  Up-down & side to side.  Put into neutral & see if it rolls.