Quicker steering box suggestions for D21

So here's one for you.  The '87 chump truck has manual steering, which has to be the largest amount of turns lock to lock of them all.  I could at least 1800 turns lock to lock.  Or somewhere around 4, but it might as well be 1800.

Anyway, debating modifying the frame to fit a 280zx steering box, OR using a steering quickener as found in circle track supplies.  Has anyone done either of these modifications to a D21 or 720 for that matter?  I have to keep it roughly stock as eventually it's a chump truck and the stocker, the better.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick-rat

Back in my younger days I raced on a dirt track in Oklahoma, I ran a 56 ford that had about 270 degrees lock to lock steering. The seat was in the center of the car The steering wheel was in the center  mounted to the roll cage the shaft on the steering wheel had a large bicycle sprocket welded to it. The shaft to the boc was also supported by the roll cage and had a smaller sprocket on it with a bicycle chain connecting them. You could make the steering faster or slower by changing the sprocket to get it where you want it. Gas pedal moved to pass side of the tunnel, brake pedal in stock location, hand clutch. oval track so not a lot of shifting needed

• Like 2

sigh all these guys putting new gadgets in their vehicles, new fangled pneumatic enhanced steering, computerized fuel squirt guns, new engines, i must be the only schmuck going back to the golden days of automobiles, why when i was a child!....zzzZZZZzzzzz(gurgles as i fall face first into my corn flakes)

• Like 1

So I was just doing some research online and according to all the roundy-rounders, the extra steering effort required for a quickener requires power steering.  And interestingly enough, Jegs has right on the Coleman Racing Products Quickener description, MUST be used with power steering.  I imagine it's like loosing the power steering belt.  If it's a light vehicle, you can turn it at speeds okay.  Once you slow down though, it requires Schwarzenegger arms to move.

Which means I'll need power steering anyway if I go that route, which so far seems easiest, so I may just look for that setup in pull and save.

Also, the quickeners are 36 spline.  I need to go see if I have a box in the garage I can count.  Not sure if that's standardized or not.

EDIT:  I just checked the hardbody and 510.  510 is not 36 spline, but the D21 is!!!  Sweet! :)