Driveshaft for Dogleg 5 Speed Swap

Dime Dave

I've been doing my research and I have some questions about the driveshaft modifications when swapping a dogleg 5 speed into a 521 pick-up.

Both transmissions are the same length, but the 521 4 speed has a flanged output on the tailshaft. The dogleg 5 speed has a slip yoke.

The first u-joint on the 521 driveshaft is the same as the u-joint that fits the slip yoke that goes into the dogleg 5 speed.

If you were to swap the flange connection for a slip yoke at the 1st u-joint of the 521 driveshaft would the driveshaft work?

The only issue I could imagine is the slip joint in the middle of the 521 drive shaft might move, shortening the effective driveshaft length and pull the slip yoke to far out of the transmission for proper engagement. I would suppose a sleeve could be installed over the slip joint in the 521 driveshaft, which would keep it from shortening.

What have other folks done to get the driveshaft to work when converting from a drive flange to slip yoke connection at the transmission?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When my front ujoint blew up and took out the back of my stock 4spd with it, that flange piece slid right off the output shaft.

SOooooo....when I put the dogleg in, I slid that flange piece onto dogleg output shaft and bolted my flanged driveline up. Works like a charm. No leaks or nothin

Take the 521 4 speed out by unbolting the flange from the driveshaft. In the center of the transmission half of the flange is a large nut. Remove it and the flange will slide back and off the transmission

The nut holds the flange and spline to the output of the transmission....

transF4W63520-521flangeo-p.jpg

Here's the same 521 4 speed with the flange removed and the nut spun on for safe keeping...

F4W63flangeoutputfrom521001.jpg

Here is a dogleg 5 speed with the flange output installed. Note that because there is no nut or way to use a nut on this transmission there is an uncovered hole that needs to be plugged or oil will seep out past the spline. To fix this get a 40mm frost or core plug for an engine block or the equivalent. Put a little sealer on it to be sure.

521flangeonnonflangeF4W63needsplug.jpg 

Install and bolt it up.

I have what datzenmike just explained with the plug as well as a one-piece from a 520 as phixius stated. works great. no oil leaking from flange and no carrier bearing to deal with. small note, if you do go with the 520 one-piece get it balanced before you install it, unless you know for sure its fine. I got mine from a PnP and it needed balancing.

Regarding a 520 single piece driveshaft, is is the same diameter as the 2 piece? (and 520's are like finding hen's teeth 'round my parts).

The 510 Wagon drive shaft uses the same u-joints as as the 2 piece 521, but with the 510 wagon they increased the shaft's tube diameter just right up to just before the U-joint ends. The bigger shaft diameter allows for more RPM before hitting the shaft's design limit. The 2 peice shaft, even with a smaller diameter, will run higher RPM's because the driveshaft tube lengths are shorter.

Critical speed on a drivbeshaft is determined by tube diameter and length of tube. Go to a longer length and/or smaller diameter and the RPM limt goes down, bigger diameter and/or shorter length, the RPM limit goes up.

The driveshaft in my Datsun 1200 racecar at redline in 5th is turning around 10K. That is something you do not want coming appart.

Here is a picture posted by CarterB showing the stock wagon d-shaft (bottom) compared to other 510 shafts.

159DSCF0619.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

The driveshaft in my Datsun 1200 racecar at redline in 5th is turning around 10K. That is something you do not want coming appart.

On a one to one 5th gear the engine would be at 10K!!!. If you have an overdrive 5th a bit less maybe 12 -15%

Mike,

Overdrive turns the output faster than the input or it "overdrives" the output shaft so you are correct the engine is less than the 10K shaft speed.

The .854 OD in my 63 series dogleg at 8300RPM (the redline for my A15 race engine) turns the driveshaft at 9718.97 RPM (8300/.854)