zx cross memeber in early maxima

q-tip

I've been helping pumpkn Dave with the motor swap on the maxima and we hit a snag last night. We are using the L28 from a zx to replace the L24 that is sun blowed up. The zx is rear sump and the maxima is front, just change the pick ups right....nope, there are 2 spots for the oil pick up tube to bolt to.

The question is can we take the front cross member and steering rack from a zx and bolt it into the maxima to use the rear sump pan?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the pan is off but that's all the more torn down we are going to go with it, thus the possibility of making it rear sump with a different cross memeber

Can the cross member not be cut and flipped? Ive never seen a Maxi version. 

I had the opposite problem when I first bought my Z.  Previous owner had swapped in a Maxima L24E and kept the rear sump Z car pan.  Their kludged together solution was to hacksaw the oil pickup tube in half and extend it with some rubber hose & two hose clamps so that it reached the rear of the pan.  I think they even went so far as to make a tiny little bracket to help hold up the middle of the rubber hose.  I actually drove it for a few thousand mile like that without knowing a thing about it.