Front bumper fit

DanielC

I am working on fitting a front bumper on Ratsun, my project truck.   It, as well as all my other 521 Datsuns have various degrees of front end damage.

If you have a straight Datsun 521, or at least a good repair on the front of a 521, could you please post some pictures showing front bumper fit? I would appreciate it so much.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20121005_145941.jpg

Not really straight...

what kind of pictures are you looking for? like bumper holes and 521 frame-hole line up? or sides line up 'where mine are bent'

in this picture you can see the bend a little better, I know your looking for a straight one but still.

20120821_151440.jpg

Kevin,

Thanks for pictures, I get pictures of bumper, and as a bonus, a butt.

On Ratsun, my current project, I am trying to get an idea of how the two front bumper brackets line up with the holes on the front apron.  Right now, I am trying to get the brackets into the right shape, to hold the front bumper in the right position, that gets the two small side brackets to line up with the side holes on the front apron.  The apron is also called a valence panel.

Another issue I am dealing with on Ratsun is the holes on the frame were drilled out, and 5/8 bolts and nuts were used to hold the bumper brackets to the frame.  To get access to the nuts inside the frame, you need to get a wrench into the frame, through the holes in the front of the frame, and that cannot be done with the apron on the front of the truck.   Normally, the front apron is on the truck, and the brackets are bolted to the bumper, and then the two brackets are slid through holes in the apron, on top of the frame, and the brackets are then bolted to the frame.

On my truck, It appears that the curve on the front center part of the bumper does not exactly match the curve in the rail just below the grill opening.  I have four bumpers, that are not camaged too much, and this seems consistent with all my bumpers.  Also how close to the apron, on the sides does the bumper get?

And then it will droop on either side and it will vibrate and then cause pre mature cracks in the bumper and annoy the hell out of you .Just put them on.

I do agree that it will droop when not connected on the sides, as my work truck bumper droops bad, but I have not had any issues with cracking since I bought the truck in 1995.

What I have noticed is that on some trucks while the engine is running, the bumper vibrates, while on others is doesn't, this vibrating makes a noticeable rattling sound, so my diesel 521 needed to be connected, while the work truck doesn't need to be connected.

Every situation is different, I just do what needs to be done to control the noise.