I could use some Datto advice! (pic heavy)

I'm actually not planning on trailering it at all, he sent me a running vid...it sounds like it needs a valve adjustment, but definitely strong enough to make the drive home on it's own power.

I made my offer on the wagon. Fingers crossed.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well he basically told me to feck off when I offered him 2k, saying that I don't understand the value of the car and demanding to know where I got my info and sources of comparisons. I told him I'd been talking to a bunch of very knowledgeable folks on a forum, and linked him to the car on the Ojai CL that was posted here earlier.

He came back with rants about the rarity and all that, claiming he had a list of people if I decided to pass it up and he was in no hurry to sell. He then stated that $2600 would have been his bottom line "without making any profit"

So I told him if I could get it I'd give him $2500 and take it from him.

I know I'm going to overpay...but it deserves the effort.

I'm on a grand quest to save this poor wagon.

I prolly will too  :mellow:

The more I think about it the more I realize how much I'd rather not get ripped off dealing with this guy because I want one.

Can you guys help me find a better deal? lol

and I assume you all would be able to help me if I ended up with a 510 instead. which I might. I would prefer an 810, but the 510s are...more common.

So I got this:

You didn't offend me, not one bit. Its just business. I do tend to get a little emotional about certain cars though. Datsuns tend to do that to me for some reason! In any case I appreciate your offer, but I have to hold firm at $2600. Some other guy is offering me my full asking price, but he made the mistake of telling me that he wants to put a Chebby 350 in it! UGH! I mean I like American cars just fine, but I have when folks mess up a Datsun with a chevy small block. He can find a Nova to put his small block genericness in as he isn't getting my Datsun for his desires. Oh, and that 810 in Ventura probably lasted about an hour online before it was sold. Even if not, that is the west coast. There are way more Datsuns over there. On the east coast the pickings are slim and they are usually a nightmare of rust. But I digress.

So, how about it? As much as this Chevy guy has been bugging me I know the car will get $3k or more if I just wait it out, so I already feel like I am giving up $400 (well $379), but I will sleep better with it in your hands. I can't imagine $100 is a deal breaker here. I am finding more stuff to include all the time (like an original Nissan washer fluid reservoir, full set of new headlight bulbs, tool bag, and underbody engine shield for instance). SO, if you wanted to you could unload some of this extra stuff to cover the difference. In fact I was adding it all up and you could easily swap out enough of the extra parts to get the price back down to your $2k level. And that Ratsun site will help you move those parts pretty quick if you wanted to do that. And before you ask me if I can just keep the parts and lower the price accordingly, I don't have the time to mess with selling the parts like that myself.

Last chance @ $2600. Its the last and only time I am going to offer it at that price to anyone. If I still have it next week it is getting detailed, cleaned thoroughly, and a $3500 buy-it-now price will be put on it.

I'm walking away from this, sadly. Maybe another wagon will pop up eventually for me.  :(  

Guest roseyroseyrose

send him an email with an ultimatum...tell him this is the last time youre going to offer him 2k for it, and tell him next time, your offer goes down to $1200......let him stew on that for awhile, maybe youll end up being offered it for like $1500 or something......use his own bs on him, and maybe you could get it for a fair price after all, heh..... :ninja:

• Like 2

I think Z-train is a psychic. Just got this e-mail:

Yeah, it is NOT getting a Chevy 350 put in it! Not if I have anything to say about it. In fact earlier today I think that same guy had a friend call me (same WV area code) trying to buy it. When I asked him if he planned and engine swap he stuttered a bit and when I asked if he had heard about putting a chevy 350 in these bodies be acted a bit too coy. Those chevy guys...

However I did find a perfect 720 today for a steal, SO...

If you still want to do it for $2500 you've got yourself a deal. I can justify it to myself by how cheap I am getting this low miles 720 for (85k original miles, nice body, no rust for only $1200!) and I can keep the old girl in a dedicated Datsun family. All these jackasses telling me they want to make it into a race car or drag racer kind of goes against my whole reason for putting it up for sale. Knowing that you will treat it with the love and respect it deserves is worth more than a measly $100 difference in price. So, yeah let me know soon if that works for you and we can set up a time for you to come down and pick her up.

I'm gonna take a vote:

A. I overpay a little to save it and be done with him
B. I work him a little and make him sweat a day or two saying I'm gonna try and get the extra 500, then say I can't and tell him 2k is what I got then see what he does. 

C. I walk 

At $2500 you wouldn't be overpaying for it by a little - you'd still be paying at least twice what most here agree it's worth.

I think he may have shot himself in the foot with his comment about the 720 for $1200. Seems to me that should be all he needs out of this one.

• Like 1

I think C. I would walk away. Your 2000 bucks would be better spent else where. There's a hell of a lot of rust that we can see, plus some possible accident damage judging from that front passenger fender. Who knows what more you'll uncover while fixing it up. The interior doesn't seem too bad but for heavens sake clean the bloody thing. That engine bay is awful! Has it ever been cleaned. I appreciate you want to save it but your buying someones headache here. Unless he takes 1500, then maybe. He only needs 1200 for his 720. At the end of the day it's your call. Good luck.

Somehow I don't really think he's gonna go for 2k in the end, but if he does I don't think I'm going to be able to help but take it. Half of the reason I'm waiting a couple days is to see if something else comes up, see if I can make up my mind on actually purchasing or not, and seeing if he changes his mind.

Apparently the car has been here before, do any of you guys recall any sort of body damage?

As far as I can see, as long as I replace the front fenders, the right front door, and the rear bumper it'll be mostly rust free...the undercarriage is SPOTLESS. As well as all the door jams and other common places were water collects to rust. 

i'm just anxious about actually getting one. My craigslist search of the entire country has yielded two 810 wagons...this one, and the one in Ojai posted here earlier - and that one is currently unavailable pending family issues. 

The bug to finally own a wagon has bitten me, and I'd like to get it done while I have the money to do it lol. It's probably not the best decision...but sometimes we ignore logic for a desire.

You only have some many chances to do what you want life is short. Money doesn't mean much and in the end you can't take it with you anyways. so it all comes down to what you want to get out of life. If a wagon is on the bucket list then do it there won't be many opportunities in the future. Plus 810s are amazing cars so in the long run you might have to work a little harder drink a few less beers at the bar or whatever but the car will be more meaningful in the end.

• Like 1

Still 2k in this economy, for that car, in that shape is fair to both parties.

When both people walk away slightly disatisfied then it was probably pretty even. He aimed high with 3k, very high, you're aiming for below what you're willing to pay.

Looking at that car, I dont see 2k, I see between 1500-1800 (1800 if it's mechanically sound). But it's what YOU WANT, that allows a little more to be spent.

Nismo is right, still work it though.

I appreciate all of your advice - I'm still going back and forth with this in my head.

Sometimes I'll tell myself I need to wait and save, but then I'm worried that I won't be able to find one, or that all the ones I can find are crappy when I can find one.

It is mechanically sound, I can drive it home. I agree that I should be paying in the range you've stated Karl...but I just don't see him letting it happen for that low. 

One hour I'll say I'll pass and be satisfied, another I'll be like, "damn it would be great to have a wagon right now" lol.

So I think this is how it's gonna happen:

I will offer 2k again. If he doesn't take it then that's just how it is. I'm not fighting it anymore. If that's the case there's still the possibility of the brown car, I've talked to the owner a couple times and he's not looking forward to the argument with his family about selling it so he can't promise anything.

But if the other seller will take 2k for his wagon...I'll likely jump on it. I'm not afraid of a little work. Hell it'll be satisfying to bring this back from the grave, though I'd appreciate a car that needs less work...take what you can get sometimes.

So we'll see how this plays out. Might end up overpaying for a slightly worn wagon, might end up paying a good price and getting raped on shipping for a very clean wagon, or I might not end up with a wagon at all and be sadface lol.

And as suspected, once I told him all I have is 2k or I'd have to bow out...he said this:

I would do it at 2k if I kept the Wheels/tires and extra parts. I have the original steel wheels to put back on it with two new tires and two tired tires that are drivable for a few months. SO you would get the Datsun, the original parts that came with it like hubcaps, cassette adapter, service manual, and what not. But, I would keep all the godies and just use them for my next Datsun project. If that works for you let me know. Otherwise I think I will just keep her until the next time I can get to the right car show. Heck I went to a Corvette cruise-in before I had it "for sale" and had a few guys offer to buy it. So, like I said I'm not worried about selling it, only that it gets a good home. Let me know.

He can keep his damn Z mags, I'm gettin me a wagon.

Here's a build thread started for this car, have a good look. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/53303-1979-datsun-810-wagon-mild-custom/

Looks like he hasn't owned it long. The thread was started in March of this year. Good luck with the 810 purchase. IMHO I'd rather run Diamond steelies than those Z mags. Not hating the Z mags or anything, they just don't work for me on that car.